PDA

View Full Version : finish for goblets

cal thelen
04-27-2011, 9:06 PM
What is a good finish for goblets that will be used to drink out of? I Have been using generals salad bowl finish putting on 4 coats using 0000 steel wool. it gets a nice little sheen to it, but I would like to have a nice glossy finish on them. I just finished this one, it is still in the chuck. My first attempt at captured rings, besides making the rings too small and sanding the insides of the rings alittle better. i am pretty happy with it. but like i said would like to have a glossier finish. any suggestions?

John Keeton
04-27-2011, 9:15 PM
Very nice work on the goblet, Cal! Cherry?? As for a finish, eventually, moisture will find its way thru about anything, but some of the water based lacquers (Crystalac) might work. They are used on instruments, and those are exposed to a lot of perspiration, and they do make a brush on version. I have no personal experience with them, though.

WOP will give you a very nice gloss, and will withstand quite a bit of moisture.

cal thelen
04-27-2011, 9:42 PM
thank you john. Yes it is cherry. would the WOP be safe to drink out of?

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
Cal about any finish is safe for food or drink if it is cured for 72 hrs or more. I haven't tried it yet but have heard epoxy is good for goblets. I am still checking that out.

Harry Robinette
04-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Bernie
Please post your findings I'm thinking of doing a class on the Goblet and I've only made Goblets to look at,I know I'll be ask about a drink from the Goblet finish.

cal thelen
04-28-2011, 7:05 AM
I have heard about that 2 part epoxy. that might be the way to go. I have had no one complain about the salad bowl finish yet so I am assuming it is holding up okay. The epoxy would give that nice glossy look just was not sure about the toxic part of it.