PDA

View Full Version : Oneida 2hp Gorilla pulling shavings into filter

dan lemkin
04-27-2011, 8:41 PM
Hi,

I have a 2hp Gorilla with a short run: 7" to 5" in about 8 ft, then a flex hose for another 6-10 ft. It is also connected to table saw with 5" flex.

I have been doing some planing and one 1 or 2 occassions let shavings rise about 3 inches into the bottom of the metal cone. I checked the filter and it was packed with shavings.... Since then, I have been really attentive to make sure I empty it before it fills, and I am still getting shavings in the pan, and significant debris in the filter.

Any ideas?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/z0LWsaYkUopPirq6D392B3KlTO7n0eFVjXnT1GI-TYM?feat=directlink

Ken Fitzgerald
04-27-2011, 8:44 PM
Dan,

I would look for an air leak between the cone and the barrel.

Eric McCune
04-27-2011, 10:18 PM
+1 with Ken. It might be the plastic bag in the barrel preventing a tight seal. Any leak from the barrel will allow dust to be pulled from barrel to the filter.

Ben Hatcher
04-28-2011, 10:37 AM
+1 I had the same thing happen to me when I tried to put a bag in the collection barrel. The air leaking in from the bottom disturbs the cyclonic flow and carries chips and dust into the clean air stream.

Joe Cowan
04-28-2011, 11:52 AM
It happened to me once. I had failed to make sure the band clamp was secure on barrel. It filled up the entire hollow part of the filter.

Alan Schaffter
04-28-2011, 2:08 PM
All of the above reasons. Plus, if you clogged the filter once and didn't get it cleaned well enough to pass enough air, the velocity in the cyclone may not be high enough any more for good separation. Really clean the filter well and seal up all the leaks.

Jim Foster
04-29-2011, 8:20 AM
IMO (Same problem on my end) with the chip collection drum having a very short distance to the cone, you'll always be prone to blow chips to the filter if the can gets over filled. Mine seemed to do that whenever I let it overfill even a little bit. I am on a second floor shop and I moved the can to the first floor and now that I have a really long pipe from the cone to the can it seems to be much better. Before the change, I just checked the can often and made sure it never filled up to the top.

Also, regarding shavings in the pan, it's amazing how full the whole system gets with chips when it clogs, and if you did not clear it really well, maybe the chips you see are still left over from the first clog and are coming dislodged over time.

Joe Cowan
04-29-2011, 9:25 AM
I have a 10' ceiling with my DC mounted on the wall. When I first started, I had the drum on a platform. After a short while, I dropped the drum to the floor and connected the drum to the DC with about 2'-3' of clear tubing. That helps me see the chips as they overfill the drum.

Jim Becker
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Dan,

I would look for an air leak between the cone and the barrel.

This.........