PDA

View Full Version : I Love Lee Valley

John Tallyn
04-27-2011, 8:15 PM
I ordered several items from Lee Valley, when they arrived I realized one of their shipping people had placed an 18" stainless ruler into a 17 1/2" box, bending it rather severely, and leaving it with a kink. When I called Lee Valley, they immediately shipped a new one, telling me not to bother shipping the other back. Trust and great Customer service, you've got to love a company like that.
On a real plus side, my brand new low angle jack took a full width, full length shaving on a piece of 1 1/2" wide, 24" long hard maple right out of the box.:D

Jim McFarland
04-27-2011, 9:55 PM
LV = unequaled customer service in my experience

I placed a small order for some hardware Friday evening. By Sunday, I decided to go a different direction with my project. I emailed LV asking if I could cancel the order and got a reply in <5 minutes notifying me order was canceled and they look forward to hearing from me again. Well, they can count on that! All this on Easter Sunday, mind you.

Paul Ryan
04-28-2011, 8:58 AM
John,

I will second the love for lee valley. I have been on a spending spree lately and lee valley and lie-nielsen have quite a few of my dollars. Both compainies are so very helpfull. I ordered a low angle jack when they had free shipping, when it arrived it has a nick in the sole out of the box. A new one was sent out asap, I received it with in 2 more days. I also had trouble with a router bit and that was promptly taken care of. It is just real easy doing business with compaines like this.

Sean Hughto
04-28-2011, 10:16 AM
I like Lee Valley a lot. I have ordered probaly thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them over many many years. Their customer service is excellent. The one thing recently that has kept me from buying some items from them is their shipping charges scheme. They do flat rates that sometimes work out to absurd amounts given the order, which sends me to other sellers with better systems. For example, I needed a $22 router bit. I know LV has good ones and ships promptly, so I added one to my cart and sought to check out. Well their flat rate system meant that shipping for a small, relatively light item was $11.50! We all know that USPS has flat rate shipping for even large items that is like $5. I expect the flat rate system saves LV overhead - they don't have to employ someone to think about the shipping of each item, but at times, it does drive me away as I can't see paying in a situation like my router bit.

Jonathan Spool
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I have experienced excellent customer service from them as well, which makes them one of my go to vendors.

Pam Niedermayer
04-28-2011, 10:28 AM
I like Lee Valley a lot. I have ordered probaly thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them over many many years. Their customer service is excellent. The one thing recently that has kept me from buying some items from them is their shipping charges scheme. They do flat rates that sometimes work out to absurd amounts given the order, which sends me to other sellers with better systems. For example, I needed a $22 router bit. I know LV has good ones and ships promptly, so I added one to my cart and sought to check out. Well their flat rate system meant that shipping for a small, relatively light item was $11.50! We all know that USPS has flat rate shipping for even large items that is like $5. I expect the flat rate system saves LV overhead - they don't have to employ someone to think about the shipping of each item, but at times, it does drive me away as I can't see paying in a situation like my router bit.

If you have time to plan ahead, set up your order and wait for LV's free shipping periods.

Pam

Sean Hughto
04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
If you have time to plan ahead, set up your order and wait for LV's free shipping periods.

Pam

Yeah, that's not me usually. ;-) I'm typically in the middle of project and realize I need something.

Jim Matthews
04-28-2011, 7:20 PM
I'm with Sean on this one, how can I know what I need, until I know I don't have it?

Pam Niedermayer
04-29-2011, 2:33 AM
I'm with Sean on this one, how can I know what I need, until I know I don't have it?

The answer is more about how you plan projects. I plan potential projects months in advance and think through what tasks will need what tools; so while I'm doing a current project I can spend all the time needed obtaining any tools I don't have at the best price. Hey, maybe I spent too much time analyzing and designing software projects and got some bad habits. :)

Pam, who also complained about LV's shipping prices first year, but Rob talked me down

Eddie Darby
04-29-2011, 9:57 AM
LV = unequaled customer service in my experience

I'll second that and add that if anyone wanted a good business model regarding customer service, then look no further than LV!

Eugenio Musto
04-29-2011, 3:36 PM
I have experienced excellent customer service from them as well, which makes them one of my go to vendors.

Me too and i found Rob Lee a very kind person.
There are some items like the skew rabbet and the LA block that are already on the new list.

Jim Koepke
04-29-2011, 8:31 PM
Well their flat rate system meant that shipping for a small, relatively light item was $11.50! We all know that USPS has flat rate shipping for even large items that is like $5.

The increase in the price may be due to it coming from Canada. Shipping cross border costs more.

It could have also been a mistake on the computer. A call on the telephone may have brought the shipping down.

My wife and I were looking to buy some pots for our greenhouse. We can get close to 2,000 for about $50. The shipping is also about $50.

We are now thinking about buying closer to home to avoid the shipping cost.

Shipping is the worst part of doing business when the shipping costs as much as the product.

jtk

Pam Niedermayer
04-30-2011, 8:22 AM
The increase in the price may be due to it coming from Canada. Shipping cross border costs more....

Last time I heard, LV has a shipping facility in the US, NY I think; so they do a two stage process for US customers.

Pam

Jim Neeley
04-30-2011, 2:01 PM
I really like LV because, when they have their "free shipping" offers, they offer a shipping discount for Alaskan orders.

Many of the online vendors offer "free shipping in the Continental United States".

OK, I accept their obvious ignorance that Alaska is part of the US and is located on the North American continent (and wonder what planet they grew up on and why their 7th grade geography teacher let them pass).

For those who do it regularly they obviously have an allowance for shipping wrapped into their pricong.

I find it offensive that not only will these companies (Eagle America, MLCS Woodworking to name two) not only do not offer any "freight allowance discount", some actually want to charge me a "shipping and handling premium" to give the same package to the USPS, UPS or FedEX as they do the free shipping packages to the "Lower 48".

Some even want to charge an "overseas" or "international" premium. For the former, I ask them when they last looked at a map. Ironically, some have told me they really believe Alaska is a little island to the west of California, as some maps show it. For the latter, I remind them that Alaska became a state 52 years ago and ask them where there head has been for the last 50 years.

I understand that the cost for many forms of shipping to Alaska are higher than in the "Lower 48" and it doesn't bother me to pay the same extra that it costs them. What kills me are those who choose to make shipping a profit center, disproportionately aomed at me.

That's OK.. I vote with my checkbook and take my business to places like LV, L-N, Craftsman Studio and others who treat their customers with respect.

LV is the first to offer an "Alaska Shipping Discount" when they offer "free shipping" down south. I don't know if Rob realizes just how much good will this gesture makes to those of us up here. It's nice not being treated as a second-class citizen.

That's OK.. My name is Jim... I am a tool addict who buys several tools each month... and I vote with my checkbook.