PDA

View Full Version : Blended turning

David Reed
04-27-2011, 7:48 PM
Blended, meaning partially turned project and partially flat, but all of it is round. This is a project that had been in the shop for quite some time, intermittently getting work between a plethora of other projects. It is now finished and ready for delivery to my son and his wife.
The table top, 48 inches diameter, is shop made ash veneer (about 1/8 inch thick) with the center bookmatched BLM burl and the perimeter the same, glued up over high density particle board top and bottom (no burl on the bottom). The pedestal is constructed with twelve staves and turned then fluted with a shop made router jig while still on the lathe. The legs are glued up ash as well. I made two skirts; the first one steam bent. It didn't turn out flat in the plane of the top so I laminated a second one. Sanded to 320, oil base stain with six coats water based poly. Sanded it out with 320 between coats 4 and 5. Not my favorite finish but durable for the family.
Sorry if this does not comply with the posting rules, so please relocate if necessary.

C&C please.

David E Keller
04-27-2011, 7:51 PM
That's a great looking piece, and there's plenty of lathe work there to make it 'qualify' for this forum(IMO). Nicely done... I'll bet the kids love it.

John Hart
04-27-2011, 8:19 PM
Gorgeous piece of workmanship David. Yep...that's a turning all right! One big beautiful turning!! :)

Donny Lawson
04-27-2011, 8:41 PM
Yep, thats a great looking piece. i just wish i could do that.

Roger Chandler
04-27-2011, 8:52 PM
Just superb work........I love the combination of flat work and turned.........I really like turning, but equally like flat work and when the two can be combined in such a beautiful work as this.........well it just does not get any better.

Fine design work on this as well as the veneering. I like your pedestal base and the top is very well done.......how did you get the burl? Did you slice it off by resawing or is it a purchased veneer?

Did I say that I really like this?! ;):D

Steve Vaughan
04-27-2011, 8:59 PM
Man, that is a great looking piece you've got there! Really, really nice!

John Keeton
04-27-2011, 9:10 PM
David, this is a very well done piece!! Lot of craftsmanship, great joinery, and some beautiful wood. Like Roger, I am interested in the burl veneer - looks like some very large pieces. I know you enjoy BLM and it really finds a home in this table. Great work!

Curt Fuller
04-27-2011, 9:17 PM
Wow, that's beautiful!

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2011, 10:05 PM
Wow is right! Beautiful work! Great design and I really like your combination of woods! The top looks like it might separate and allow for use of an extension. Is that the case?

You son and his wife are going to love this! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Dick Wilson
04-27-2011, 10:08 PM
David, Great looking poker table. I have the beer if you have the cards.

Brian McInturff
04-27-2011, 10:37 PM
That's a beautiful piece!! I would've loved to have seen the top finished with a varnish mix to get the ash burl to pop! I understand why you didn't though. A lot of hard meticulous work in this piece and you did a great job. If they ever get tired of it give me a call and I'll fly out for it!!!;)

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Beautiful piece David. Really well done.

Michelle Rich
04-28-2011, 5:02 AM
wow , what a project. Family heirloom. Great gift!

Michelle Rich
04-28-2011, 5:04 AM
wow, great project..family heirloom. Super job!

Terry Quiram
04-28-2011, 9:38 AM
I can only repeat what everyone else is saying. WOW!

Robert McGowen
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Quite a project, David. Very well done!

Bill Bolen
04-28-2011, 1:04 PM
Gorgeous piece. What fine craftmanship. Your family will still treasure this loooooong after we are gone.

Baxter Smith
04-28-2011, 1:18 PM
Beautiful work! Matching leaves and chairs in the future?

Steve Campbell
04-28-2011, 5:16 PM
I'm sure the Kids are going to love it, and their kids, and their Kids. Well you get the idea.
Oh I like it a lot too.

Steve

Jeff Nicol
04-28-2011, 5:28 PM
David, That is just beautiful! I have had a dream to make a pedestal table of some sort one day and yours gives me all kinds of ideas on what to incorporate in one if I ever get to it!

Thanks for sharing and keeping my dreams alive in my overful brain!

Jeff

David Reed
04-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks all for the great comments. It was mostly a very fun project. Not my first large diameter pedestal but my first veneer experience, if you can call it veneer.

.......how did you get the burl? Did you slice it off by resawing or is it a purchased veneer? ;):D

David, Like Roger, I am interested in the burl veneer - looks like some very large pieces. I know you enjoy BLM and it really finds a home in this table.

I do enjoy the BLM burl but the major reason I use it for so many projects is that I have a bunch of it. I sliced it from some big slabs of burl I harvested from the homestead. I am also nearly finished with another table from a large slab of said burl and will post it on the appropriate spot on the creek soon. Lovely wood.

The top looks like it might separate and allow for use of an extension. Is that the case?

Yes is separates and I have three 12 inch leaves to expand it to seven feet long. With the large pedestal and stout legs, it is pretty stable even without supplemental legs.

David, I have the beer if you have the cards.

the bar is open.

I would've loved to have seen the top finished with a varnish mix to get the ash burl to pop!

Like I said, it was not my preferred finish but the burl really looks pretty good, just the lighting shows it poorly - one day I will take the time to learn better lighting and photographic techniques. It's tough enough on small turnings, but a large flat surface really baffles me.
And Baxter, I just don't have the patience to build a full set of chairs. One can be fun, but eight? Not happening in my shop.
Thanks again for taking the time to look and to comment.

Dan Forman
04-29-2011, 4:02 AM
Lovely table, I bet that one will be in the family for a looooong time.

Dan