PDA

View Full Version : Asian style pagota top cabinet, ideas how to build

Jack Sims
04-27-2011, 6:47 PM
I have a client that wants me to build her an Asian style cabinet with a Pagota style top similar to the one in the attached images. The dimensions of the top would be approx 36"wide, 20" deep. I think the top overall would be about 15" high to the top of the ball. The curved portion I think would be around 10" high. The cabinet will be built entirely of a combination of hardwoods then a very dark lacquer, maybe as dark as black applied, some of the edges rubbed through to simulated aging. Some of the highlights will be gold leafed as well. My first instinct is to use a soft easy to shape wood of some kind and then assemble the top from oversize pieces in a sort of "reverse coopered" construction like a wooden barrel is made. I would then have to refine the shape by hand. I have a small pneumatic rotary tool with a variety of burr type heads that does a good job of removing material on concave pieces and also an old Stanley 113 Compass plane that does a good job cleaning up concave surfaces. I am looking for any ideas to speed up, simplify or improve the process and would greatly appreciate your help.

johnny means
04-27-2011, 8:47 PM
I would build something like that the same way I would build an actual roof. I would build a frame then skin it with an appropriate material.

Jamie Buxton
04-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I'd make it as four (or three? I can't see the back) bent laminations, and apply the ribs afterwards, pin-nailing them in place.