PDA

View Full Version : ULS 25ER x axis stopped working.

Kay Bengtson
04-27-2011, 5:22 PM
Suddenly, the lens carriage won't move by the stepper motor in the x direction. I was cutting some plywood and just hit start for the next job and laser would only move in the Y direction.

I turned off the machine then restarted twice and it still does this. I cleaned the limit sensor with alcohol and restarted and no change.

I then tried to move the carriage with the arrow controls and it only moves in the Y direction. However, after I select the focus option which should send the carriage to 1" by 1", when I end the focus option then the left arrow control will make the carriage move down an inch but never across.

I felt the temp of the X axis stepper and it is cool to the touch.

I suppose that the options that I have are to replace the stepper motor, controller or perhaps there is an arrow button on the touch pad in the down position. The right arrow button doesn't click but the left one does.

Any ideas as to how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Kay

Mike Mackenzie
04-27-2011, 5:40 PM
Kay,

Check the lights on the gold box on the back of the system. You will have to remove the cover. My guess is the driver in the gold box went out if you look on the side of the gold box where the green plugs are attached you will see LED lights next to each cable.

If one of those lights are out that circuit is bad and needs repairing.

Kay Bengtson
04-27-2011, 6:07 PM
Mike,

Thanks!

I checked the box as recommended. I followed the service manual and did the test too. Initially, the LED for the Yaxis was on but the bottom one for the w axis was not. The manual said to power down, disconnect the stepper motor cable and power up. When I powered up the unit with the stepper motor unplugged the X axis LED was still not on. So according to this the power supply is at fault. Does one buy a new one or is the unit repairable?

Kay

Mike Mackenzie
04-27-2011, 6:21 PM
Kay,

contact the service department they can repair them 480-609-0297

Kay Bengtson
04-27-2011, 6:54 PM
I have been considering this replacement for the Gold Box. Does anyone have experience with this company and or this Accelerator PS?
http://www.testra.com/laser/index.html

Mike Mackenzie
04-27-2011, 9:10 PM
Kay,

This was made for the uls25ps systems, They did not make one for the 25E when they first came out I can tell you it is worth it if your gold box is having problems. These gold boxes are not made any longer and the few available are expensive. They can still be repaired if the problems are in the driver section, if there is AC damage then they are non repairable and there are not a lot of options.

The PS systems that we upgraded worked really well, Much faster in the raster and the vector modes. This company was the same company that made the gold boxes for these systems, So I would have to say they no what there doing.

I am not sure on the latest pricing, if you plan on keeping the system then it is worth the upgrade cost.

It would cost you 500 + for the factory to repair your gold box with no guarentees that something else will not fail. These systems are 10-15 years old and parts availability is a problem.

Kay Bengtson
04-28-2011, 3:59 PM
The Accelerator E version uses the same keypad and mounts in the place of the old gold box. The price is $1995 plus shipping and I am ordering one today. I really like the much faster and smoother circle cutting too. Many of my airplane kit parts employ circles which really slows down cutting time. So this could be a plus for our business not just an expense.

I checked with ULS and they do charge $500 for repair.

Kay