PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with questions.

Bruce Dorworth
04-27-2011, 5:20 PM
Hi all, I am a newbie, I have been reading all of your threads for about a month now. I ordered a Chinese laser to further along my hobby. I currently have a CNC that I built and have been having a lot of fun with it.

My question is, I plan on buying Correl Draw, is there any other software you would suggest. Like all of you I want to laser everything till I settle on a few types of items.

I really like the Marble/Granite carvings and I like the back lit items.

Next question, is there someplace that has tutorials of things to cut out? I know the canned answer is go to your manufactures web page. As you know I bought a Chinese laser, so I am looking elsewhere for some tutorials. Basically like all of you I would like to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

Thanks in advance and go easy on the newbie, you were all there not long ago.

Bruce

Ps. the laser will be an 80 watt with a cutting capability of 3' x 4'. I will post other info later.

Steve Clarkson
04-27-2011, 5:43 PM
Welcome Bruce......try LaserU through LaserBits.....it's great for people that have never lasered before. Don't waste your money with other software until you are proficient in Corel....there is a huge learning curve if you have never used it or something like it before.

Make sure you update your location and machine so people don't have to ask.

Good luck!

Dee Gallo
04-27-2011, 5:54 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Bruce! The cool thing about owning a laser is that there are lots of ways to use it and even with some experience, I still have questions to ask and learn new things from this forum everyday.

There is a CD of files posted here which you can buy from the SMC store. Epilog Laser has a free section on their site for using various materials, which are useful tutorials. It's called Sample Club.

Have fun, dee

Bruce Dorworth
04-27-2011, 6:19 PM
Steve and Dee, thanks for the prompt response,those look like a great place to start. I tried finding the SMC store to look at the CD and didn't have any luck. Where is the store/ I went to the home page and it wasn't there????????????????

Thanks for your patience!!
Bruce in Vacaville California(about 30 miles from Sacramento)

Mike Chance in Iowa
04-27-2011, 6:31 PM
Hi Bruce,
From the Home page, click on Forum, then scroll down Sawmill Creek Store or ... click on the link below

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?34-SawMill-Creek-Store

Michael J Smith
04-27-2011, 6:36 PM
Hey Bruce. I bought corel draw X4 on ebay for $40. Its working great, no complaints. I have also been viewing a site with free tutorials called coreldrawtips dot com. Many great tutorials on that site. Another one I found was advancedartists dot com, and yet another, mtm marketing. Of course, you tube is also a great resource. And then there's Dee, who helped me out the other day with some great tips. Good luck to ya.

Mike

Rodne Gold
04-28-2011, 2:16 AM
You might need to work differently to some of us here , depending on your lasers driver and software , not all the chinese lasers integrate well with corel and even if they do , you might need different strategies when designing. Ask your suppliers for the software manaul so you can see what you getting.

Mike vonBuelow
04-28-2011, 1:44 PM
Corel is a great starting point to do 90%+ of what you can do as a beginner (like me).