PDA

View Full Version : Lighting and Electrical ?

Mike Turner
04-27-2011, 3:57 PM
I have 2 T12 8' lights and 2 4' fluorescent lights in 20 by 20 my shop. The 8' ones are 15 yrs old...This morning I went in and one bulb vibrated and so I turned the bulb and noticed the bulb holder on the end had turned a little brown and a little of the part that holds the end of the bulb was melted and wouldnt hold the bulb anymore...I am going to replace it but am undecided whether to go back with fluorescent bulbs again. Could this have caused a fire ? What other type bulbs would someone suggest?? Should the fixtures have the dust blown from them occasionally??? Thanks for any ideas !!!

Bruce Volden
04-27-2011, 8:13 PM
Mike,

I worked in the maintenance field for many years and frequently found what you described. We would replace the ends where the tube is held. Never had a problem so I am assuming this is a natural course of events. Of course this was 277 VAC industrial service. If I could afford it (after seeing them) I would like to go with LED "tubes" in these type of fixtures.

Bruce

John McClanahan
04-27-2011, 9:36 PM
T12 fluorescent lighting is being phased out as mandated by the feds. T8 tubes produce more light and use less electricity. Do a google search on "T12 phase out" before spending money on the old fixtures.

John

Mike Turner
04-29-2011, 5:02 AM
I took down the old T12s and am putting up T8s Thanks !!!