PDA

View Full Version : Using Boeshield t-9 for TS moving parts?

Mike Kelsey
04-27-2011, 3:08 PM
I'm setting up my new Jet cabinet saw & was wondering whether spraying t-9 on the gears - trunnion area & just letting it dry as a coating is a good idea or not?

Lee Schierer
04-27-2011, 3:57 PM
Unless it is wiped off Boeshield leaves a sticky residue that would not be good under the table where it would be exposed to sawdust.

glenn bradley
04-27-2011, 5:31 PM
+1 on too sticky for me. Getting all the residue off gear teeth would not be on my "want to do" list.

Brian Gumpper
04-27-2011, 10:32 PM
What they said. You only want to leave it on when storing something then would have to get wiped off before use.

I'm not an expert on lubrication but I would think putting a lubricant on a gear on a woodworking machine would only cause the sawdust to stick to it and gum it up bad.

Mike Kelsey
04-27-2011, 11:00 PM
So is a dry lube the best for the trunnion area?

david brum
04-28-2011, 1:04 AM
The classic lube for trunnion gears is aerosol white lithium grease. It goes on kind of like shaving cream and doesn't seem to collect too much crud. Comes with a long nozzle for getting into tight areas.

Brent Smith
04-28-2011, 9:36 PM
I like using a graphite spray myself.

Rick Lizek
04-29-2011, 5:07 AM
http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=258904
http://www.slipit.com/home.html
These are the ones we use in Commercial Woodworking...Slipit and Sprayway Woodworking Lube. Spraway can be used on saw table tops and router bearings.

Norman Hitt
04-29-2011, 7:20 AM
Dupont makes a dry lubricant (that you can get at the Borg) that works great. It comes in a Blue & white can that says; Dupont, Teflon, Multi Use, Dry Wax Lubricant. We had a thread where it was mentioned a while back, and I think Glenn Bradley and others are using it too. It won't collect dust, and the tilting and blade raising functions on my 20 year old PM 66 NEVER worked as smoothly as it does since I lubed it with this stuff. Seems like it was either $7 + or $9 + per can.

Chris Padilla
04-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Norman's got it: great stuff.

Incidentally, I like to use T9 only on my tops (TS, BS, J/P, etc.). I first clean the top to remove any spots, stains, rust, etc. Then I spray the T9...then I coat that with Slip-It and I apply the Slip-It for a while until it needs a cleaning again.

Harvey Melvin Richards
04-29-2011, 1:31 PM
For my gears and trunnions I use an old toothbrush and Minwax finishing wax. No sawdust attraction. I use the same for the work surface of all my machines, I just buff out the wax.

Howard Acheson
04-29-2011, 3:26 PM
I'm setting up my new Jet cabinet saw & was wondering whether spraying t-9 on the gears - trunnion area & just letting it dry as a coating is a good idea or not?

The traditional lubricant for the trunnion heli gears is furniture paste wax. Apply it with an old tooth brush. Crank the tilt and raise mechanism as you brush back and forth with the tooth brush. Paste wax is an excellent low speed lubricant and will not attract or hold sawdust.

Mike Kelsey
04-29-2011, 5:05 PM
thanks so much for the great replies!!!!!