PDA

View Full Version : old computer help

Christopher Pine
02-03-2005, 1:58 AM
Hi all I was looking around net for some info.. thought why not ask here we have some computer folks on here. I have an older second computer and it is acting up. Win 98 system. the monitor will show the windows stuff somtimes and other times it just shows the little window bouncing around the screen saying that the monitor is working and to check the connections and or the computer. You can turn it back off and on it may or may not work the next time. it is getting worse. My question: Is this most likely a video card going bad? The monitor seems to be ok... Its liek the computer does not make the connection somtimes
Thanks
Chris

Michael Perata
02-03-2005, 3:15 AM
I would reload the video card driver first. If that doesn't work then you might want to get another video card. If you are going to keep using Win 98 then I wouldn't buy an expensive card - stay under $20. Anything more with Win98 and you are wasting money.

Doug Shepard
02-03-2005, 6:52 AM
Do the drivers first like Michael suggest. But download the latest ones from the graphics card makers website. If that doesn't clear things up, before you spend money on a new card: pull the card out of the MB slot and blow off any dust or crud from the card and slot. Then reinsert the card and power up. Sometimes all these guys need is to be reseated in the slot.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-03-2005, 7:25 AM
Do the drivers first like Michael suggest. But download the latest ones from the graphics card makers website. If that doesn't clear things up, before you spend money on a new card: pull the card out of the MB slot and blow off any dust or crud from the card and slot. Then reinsert the card and power up. Sometimes all these guys need is to be reseated in the slot.

When you try unplugging and re-inserting the card, blow out the slot with compressed air. Also, find a soft bristle tooth brush and gently brush the contacts. Be careful, as you can damage the contacts....

Ray Dockrey
02-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Are you turning the monitor off then back on and getting a signal or are you rebooting the pc then you get a signal?

Christopher Pine
02-04-2005, 1:12 AM
Are you turning the monitor off then back on and getting a signal or are you rebooting the pc then you get a signal?

Only time it comes on is rebooting the whole computer.. It does not come on by just turning monitor on and off...

Actually I am turning both off somtimes.. useing the sureg protector strip... not working very well however now.. Have not got it to work for a while now.
The monitor allways comes on but does not have a computer image on it.
IF you know what I mean. It just has the little window that bounces around the screen saying it is functioning check computer or connections... I have wigled the cords etc and all apperrs well as far as that is concerned... Probably video card I guess...