PDA

View Full Version : Phonelic plastic drilling jig

John Tallyn
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
In one of David Charlesworth's books he describes a krenovian style drilling jig made from phonelic plastic, that is designed to work with a router template guide. I'd like to make this, but am unsure regarding the different types of phonelic plastics, I can get "glass" grade, "paper" grade, etc, I've done some searches but have been unable to find out what the different grades represent. For this type of application does the different types of grade matter, am I being to anal?
Thanks
John

Lee Schierer
04-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I'm far from and expert, but the glass grade is reinforced with glass and will dull your tools very quickly plus the dust is obnoxious. The paper grade has paper reinformement and is not as strong, but will be much easier on your tools. You can also use HDPE (High density polyethylene) or UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) both of which will be dimensionally stable and strong enough for most jig work but will not mess up your tools.

Chip Lindley
04-27-2011, 3:55 PM
Phenolic I have looked for is high-dollar stuff, unless you already have some laying around. Hardened steel Drill bushings (http://www.reidsupply.com/Results.aspx?pid=10021807) may be the answer. They can be located in larger holes in a template, and reused when the time comes.

Steve Ryan
04-27-2011, 6:21 PM
Paper based is extremely strong and all you need. Check your local plastic supply houses like Laird Plastics, AIN Plastics and others. Many will sell pieces of the stuff. I have tons (really) of the stuff in my scrap bins. Mostly 1/2 and 1". Just too cheap to toss it out. I am assuming this jig is for use with a plunge router? Baltic birch would also work.

John Tallyn
04-27-2011, 7:34 PM
Appreciate the info
Thanks