PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Know Where to Rent/Lease a Laser Tube

Glenn Corser
04-27-2011, 1:26 AM
I've got a 60 watt Universal V-460. It runs great, Universal tech support has been great but a problem came up over the weekend. My tube has been losing power for the last several months and it gave up the ghost on Saturday. I called Universal on Monday to get a replacement and they initially said it would take a week to get a new tube but later in the day said it could take 3 weeks or more. The last time this happend (about 3.5 years ago) they had a new tube to me in 3 days - that is why I waited until it died to replace it rather than get a replacement when it was taking 30% longer to do a job. Anyway, the question is - does anyone know of a place where I can rent a tube until the new one arrives? I was in the middle of a big order and got another on Monday and have two big shows coming up. I need to get stuff made ASAP and three weeks may cost me a lot of money.

Dan Hintz
04-27-2011, 6:08 AM
I'm not aware of ANY company that rents just tubes...

Joe Pelonio
04-27-2011, 8:09 AM
In the past when down or just slammed with work I have farmed out jobs to other local laser people. It's always good to know
others in your area, perhaps even someone here on the Creek, with laser. Even if their price leaves you little or no profit at least you meet your deadlines and keep your customers happy.

greg lindsey
04-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Photo Vac rents tubes by the week, I believe it is $100 per week, if they have one in stock. You just have to call and find out if they carry one for your unit. Glenn I'm in Houston and could possibly help if you need it.

Mike Mackenzie
04-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Try Contacting Engravers Network in Arlington TX.

Glenn Corser
04-27-2011, 1:21 PM
Greg, thanks for the offer and letting me know about PhotoVac - I called them and it looks like they have a tube. Mike, Engravers Network said that Universal does not allow them to sell/rent/lease tubes. They suggested I contact ULS tech support and ask them about renting a tube. I sent Jose Pria an e-mail but have not heard back.

Josiah Gallo
04-27-2011, 2:24 PM
You could try local laser resellers or repair people - I'll DM you a name you can try and see if he knows anybody in that area. Or, like Joe said, see if another laser shop or trophy shop can help. Screen printers often have lasers as well.

Glenn Corser
04-27-2011, 3:09 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. ULS just said that they will ship me a loaner until the new one is ready. Should be making smoke by Friday. This forum is amazing, everytime I've had some weird problemand post about it here the replies lead to a solution. And ULS tries to make you happy too.

Glenn Corser
04-29-2011, 12:36 AM
For other ULS owners I thought it might be useful to write a conclusion to this thread. The loaner tube arrived today (Thurs) at 9:19 and I was cutting within 45 minutes of delivery. Included with the tube is a return shipping label so the rental is free and the shipping to/from Universal is also free. I just have to return it when the new one gets here. So, the lesson is, if your ULS tube burns out and you have to wait several days for a replacement, ask them if there is a loaner tube you can get. You may have to go down in wattage a little bit (the QC doc that shipped with loaner 50 watt tube said it's average wattage was 57, not too far from 60) but you can still get stuff done.