PDA

View Full Version : Mustard Monster has a home/power hook up question??

John Nowack
04-27-2011, 12:09 AM
192931giddy with joy...:):):):) got a couple o questions

1. what would you use for the power hook up? I like the twist lock but they put in a dryer type outlet when I had them wire the place. I bought the male end for the lathe that fits but the wire on the late is much to small for the whole so there would be a large gap around the insulated wire.

2. removed the packing grease but worried about rust... i had most of my chucks rust on me and it is a problem with the drill press etc..finally i hung panty hose full of silica in the cabinets and it appears to drw the moisture away....typically use WD40 but it seeem to evaporate...Is there something better? or just apply and reapply

Jon Prouty
04-27-2011, 12:25 AM
major congrats on the mustard.

sorry I can't help on either question... none of my tools run 220 and living in AZ is like living in a desiccant packet.

Jon

Scott Hackler
04-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Congrats on your new toy.

1) your not going to find a dryer/stove male plug that was designed for a smaller cord. As long as the bare wires aren't exposed it isn't a problem, per se. That is to say, most people plug in the lathe and there is sits...forever. If you are going to plugging and unplugging a bunch, I would switch out the female wall recepticle with a 220 air conditioner outlet and buy the correct male end for the lathe cord.

2) Why is the moisture so heavy in your shop? Maybe a de-humidifier is warranted. I would clean everything off and apply a generous coating of standard paste wax. I use it on the cast table saw top, lathe ways and drill press table. Works as a protectant and lubricant. The banjo will slide with ease afterwards.

Jim Sebring
04-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Can't help with the MM, but perhaps with the chuck storage issues. I store my Nova chucks in the empty jars mixed nuts come in from COSTCO. I throw in a small silica gel packet to suck up the moisture. Humidity in my shop runs around 65-70% in the winter around here (it's 66% as I write this. I didn't build a fire today). Remember, this is the wet side of Washington!

Dan Forman
04-27-2011, 4:39 AM
Like a lot of folks, I unplug my PM when not in use. If there is a power surge I guess it can damage the variable speed thingy. I would just use something that plugs in easily, and unplug it whenever you're done for the day, or wire up a second switch that would cut off power to the machine - the switch on the lathe doesn't do that.

Dan

philip labre
04-27-2011, 7:10 AM
Congrats on the Mustard! You can do as Scott said about changing out both the receptacle and plug or wrap a layer of tape till you are able to tighten the clamp. I needed an extension and the cord I added had thicker insulation than the original.

John Keeton
04-27-2011, 7:14 AM
John, congrats on the PM!! It appears your shop is in the garage? Probably not heated or insulated? I suspect the rust problem is related to the metal objects in your shop being cold, and a blast of warmer humid air causes condensation. I have had this happen in my shop when I left the door open on a cool day, and a very warm and very humid front came thru quickly. Looked like it had rained in the shop - everything was dripping water in the floor. Couldn't believe it! Took 3 hours to mop up the water and get everything dry before it turned to rust. Needless to say, I don't do that anymore when weather conditions are erratic.

Short of insulation and conditioning (heating) the area, Johnson's paste wax is the answer.

Richard Jones
04-27-2011, 7:17 AM
......and unplug it whenever you're done for the day, or wire up a second switch that would cut off power to the machine - the switch on the lathe doesn't do that. Dan

I installed a 220v rated switch, mounted it on the wall behind the lathe. Electronics/VFD's don't fare well during electrical storms............no reason to take a chance.

Rich

Steve Braman
04-27-2011, 7:20 AM
So does this mean you are hooked up to a 30 Amp breaker? I would suggest switching out both the plug and breaker to something that match the needs of the lathe. If the wire was sized for 30 Amps, it will never be the weak link in the system. Right now it seems like it might take a big spike to blow the breaker, and it might be too late to protect the lathe at that point. I am not an electrician, but know just about enough about this to be dangerous. I am sure someone with better knowledge will chime in.

Jeff Nicol
04-27-2011, 7:42 AM
Congrats on getting a wonderful lathe, I have put mine through many wars with wood and it keeps coming back for more! The wireing circuit should match the rated amperage of the machine or just a bit above. I would make sure the wire is not to large and the breaker is rated correctly, if the circuit is to heavy for the machine and something should happen and it shorts out at the motor or the motor runs very hot the wire in the wall or the circuit can heat up and be damaged or cause a fire before the breaker will trip if it is rated to high. The easist way is to run the line to a disconnect box on the wall with either a female recepticle or hard wire it in the dicsonnect. That way you can have a power shut off right there and they do make them with fuses in them if you want extra protection. Doing it right the first time is better thatn hopeing and praying that nothing will go wrong. Contact an electrician or do some more searching to get more information on electrical wiring standards and prctices.

Good luck and stay safe,

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2011, 8:21 AM
John - Congrats on your new lathe! You are going to love it!

I have been using Johnson paste wax for years and am still happy with it! It does a great job of lubricating the bed, tailstock, banjo, quill, etc and even with heavy use over 6 years I am still on my first can!

On the power issue, all you have to do is replace the dryer 30 amp receptacle with whatever style 20 amp that you want. I use the L620 series (http://www.internationalconfig.com/icc6.asp?item=L620-P) (P = plug, R = receptacle) because I like having the power locked in place. Also, at the end of the day - unplug your lathe. Power variations are one thing but if you ever had a lightening strike, the only sure way to save your lathe is to not have it plugged in at all. It is a good habit to get into!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn off your new lathe! Have fun!

John Nowack
04-27-2011, 9:35 AM
WELL SWEET! MURRAY ELECTRIC in Tulsa said they will come out and change the breakers and outlet. NO CHARGE...will consider it part of the original job....RIGHT THINGS RIGHT (love companies with that philosophy)

Looks like I wil be investing in some past wax

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2011, 10:02 AM
Congrats on the lathe John. Looks like your problems are fixed. I also use Johnson Paste wax on my tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press and lathes. Haven't had a problem since.

Dick Strauss
04-27-2011, 11:45 AM
John,
Congrats! It sounds like you bought a great lathe and found a good electrical company to work with...

As far as the cord/plug is concerned, the size plug Steve recommends for 20A is what I would use (twist lock variety). If the cord still seems small going into the plug, a couple of wraps of electrical tape will increase the size of the cord and make the plug clamp the cord better if needed.

Bill Wyko
04-27-2011, 8:41 PM
I think the best thing to do would be to plug it into the outlet in my shop.:D That's one fine machine you have there. Congrat's. Now lets see some cool turnings come off that bad boy.

Baxter Smith
04-27-2011, 11:55 PM
Congrats on the lathe!