PDA

View Full Version : First project on South Bend lathe

Hayes Rutherford
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
A few weeks ago I acquired a 1930's South Bend lathe and finally got around to repairing the motor. My present Powermatic vacuum adapter is a block of wood, a couple of bearings, and a piece of copper tubing sticking out. Although it has worked well, I felt it could be improved and here is what I came up with. I got the piece of aluminum from a recycle place and don't know what alloy it is but it sure turned sweet. The finish is exactly how it came off the lathe with no further polishing. The bearings are Enco double sealed, 1/2" i.d x 1-1/8 o.d. I plan to fit a 1/4" fm x 1/4" m adapter and epoxy in, then go to a 1/4" or 3/8" barbed hose fitting via a 90 deg. fitting.

This was a fun and easy project and a good use for a small piece of aluminum.

Dan Forman
04-27-2011, 3:35 AM
Looks good as mine Hayes, nice job.

Dan

John Keeton
04-27-2011, 7:06 AM
Hayes, you are a talented fellow!!

Jeff Nicol
04-27-2011, 7:45 AM
Hayes, It looks very professional, nice job! I just got a 1947 Atlas lathe and have been playing with that a lot and I love the old iron! They sure come in handy when a project calls for some machining, nice job and nothing better than making it yourself!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
04-27-2011, 7:59 AM
WOW! Exceptionally nice work Hayes! I would have taken a lot longer figuring out how to use the South Bend but you sure got it working! Very impressive work!

David E Keller
04-27-2011, 8:53 AM
Alright, that does it! I've been enamored with Hayes' turnings since he started posting here, and now he's knocking out metal stuff to boot... I want to spend a day(or ten) with Hayes in the Idaho workshop. I'll bring my own raisins and Everclear...

Hayes Rutherford
04-27-2011, 9:04 AM
David, any time and anyone that comes for a visit gets free cottonwood, all they can haul. My next direction might be metal spinning, would be a nice way to make the cap on a still!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Very nicely done Hayes. That thing looks exceptional.