PDA

View Full Version : Question about saw sets

Mark Stutz
02-02-2005, 10:06 PM
This Dark..er, Quiet Side involves a lot more than just planes. As i've been working up the courage and equipment to sharpen my own saws, I'm getting stumped on saw sets. The variety is endless, but it seems the Stanley type are generally considered the best users, and in looking at the various designs I can see why. My question involves the various types. The LN site says that their dovetail saw can be set with a 42X. What is the difference between 42, 42X, 42SS, and 42W. The 43 seems to be for large crosscut,etcsaws. Will a 42X be multipurpose? i.e. can I do a 5tpi D8 as well as a 15 tpi dovetail? I'm assuming not, but what do I need?

Leif Hanson
02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
John Zimmers' an antique tool dealer - he keeps a set of the instructions that are included with the different saw sets available on his site for the public to read:

http://jonzimmersantiquetools.com/features/sawsets.html

He also briefly describes them on his sale page.

Most pistol grip saw sets work using a plunger (aka hammer) and anvil sort of affair - there's a bent "anvil" that a plunger (operated by the lever) pushes the teeth against. The stanleys are all pretty much variation of the same theme.

The 42X is nice for teeth between 12 and 16 TPI - the difference between it and the regular 42, for example, is in the design of the hammer/plunger. The design has 2 plungers, basically - a smaller plunger within a larger one. The larger plunger comes out first to hold the blade in place, then the second, smaller plunger pushes out and actually bends the tooth. It will work for larger teeth, but it's not as well suited as a regular 42.

A 42 just has one hammer, and it's easier to apply the force to bend the larger tooth. You don't have to be as accurate where the thing sits, so having a 2 plunger system that holds the thing in place isn't as important. I think it's much easier to use for larger saws, myself, so I have one of each. The 42X is the darling of ebay, so goes for quite a lot - but the lowly 42, 42W, and 42SS go for less. A 43 is better for larger saws - 5 TPI or less.

So - for MY purposes...

42X for 12 to 16 tpi

42, 42SS, or 42W for 5 to 12 tpi (these are all pretty much the same saw set, with just a few minor differences between them).

43 for big honkin saws.

If you want finer than 16 tpi, you have to either buy one of those new ones that are sold by Highland Hardware (or others) or file down the hammer on a 42X...

There is of course, some crossover - there's no saying you can't use a 42X on larger teeth or a 42 on smaller teeth - those are just my preferences.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.:)

Leif

Mark Stutz
02-03-2005, 7:49 PM
Thanks, Leif. That's pretty much what I had put together from a variety of sources, but not anyplace was there such a succinct summary. Thanks. BTW, I have that site linked, but the print is too small! :D :o ;)

Roger Nixon
02-04-2005, 10:10 AM
Here is another link for sawsets (http://home.comcast.net/~brucelove/SawSet/sawset.html) that covers many makers.

I've used most types and there is not a huge difference in them. Some folks like Bob Brode like the Morrill's patent sawsets for backsaws (it is easy to file down the hammer for very small teeth.

I use a Stanley #42X for most saws and I use a Millers Falls 214 for my larger ripsaws but there is no magic about that.

You can buy new sawsets in the Morrill pattern today in sizes for regular and small teeth.

Marinus Loewensteijn
05-15-2015, 2:24 AM
Apologies for digging up an old post. However it may be on interest for those who search for the same information as I did, to know that the brown version of the Stanley 42-W, presumably sold as the 42-S(S), does not have a hardened hammer or anvil. The black version has an hardened anvil/hammer according to the original box. (the black one has a screw for hinge rather than a pressed rolled up spring in the brown one). I'm viewing the brown version as the "handiman" one.

lowell holmes
05-15-2015, 7:38 AM
I have the Stanley #42X and also the Somox at Lee Valley.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32956&cat=1,43072,43086

I use the Somox most of the time.

I have no problems with the #42X, I just don't use it.

Malcolm Schweizer
05-15-2015, 7:47 AM
I just got the two saw sets that www.toolsfromjapan.com sells. I got the ones with the magnifiers and love them. The magnifier is very large and mounted over the top and probably gives you 2x magnification- just enough to help when setting small teeth.