PDA

View Full Version : Hacksaw recomendations

Jeff Wittrock
04-26-2011, 8:07 PM
I'm looking for a good quality hacksaw. I will mostly use it on mild steal and brass. Sometimes I need to make long cuts, so I was wondering if there are any good quality ones that allow turning the blade 90 degrees.

I was looking at some used SnapOn saws on ebay that looked like they had a decent tensioner, but don't have the ability to set the blade at 90 degrees. I have heard that the hacksaws made by Starret are pretty good.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good hacksaw currently available, or one from the past that I can keep my eyes open for?

Thanks,
Jeff

Mark Baldwin III
04-26-2011, 8:41 PM
The one that was recommended to me is the Starrett 145 with a Starrett BS1232 blade. I have plans to hunt one down this weekend, hopefully the hardware store has them. I haven't looked at their saw selection much in the past.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
04-26-2011, 9:02 PM
I bought one of those years ago at the local Ace (actually, I think it was still an independent hardware store then) I needed it as a quick replacement for a cheapo hacksaw that had a broken pin. I'm certainly still more than pleased with it. Most comfortable one I've used, balanced, and tensions well. It doesn't rotate 90 degrees, but does have an extra set of pins angled at 45 for making longer cuts.

Jim Koepke
04-26-2011, 9:13 PM
I like my Stanley low profile.

It does have a 45° set of pins. The ads mention 90° sawing pins. Those are the standard angle pins, not another set.

It is likely that if one really needed to, they could install their own pins for the frame to be in the 180° position.

jtk

David Weaver
04-26-2011, 9:30 PM
any solid back saw with a good tensioning mechanism should be fine. i use a lenox saw from hd, i think it is no. 20918-4012

Von Bickley
04-26-2011, 9:51 PM
My vote goes to Lenox......

john brenton
04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
My votes on the Lenox as well. No fancy gimmicky stuff, just their straight professional hacksaw. I couldn't find one at the big boxes, but you might try a plumbing supply store. Every plumber I ever worked with used the lenox...I know I put mine through hell.