PDA

View Full Version : Tool Storage Photos - Part 1

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2011, 5:44 PM
I posted a couple photos in a different thread. I got a couple of PM inquiries asking for some more details, so here we go. My primary bench has a 40" aisle behind it, and then a 14' x 26" back bench with 1/2" ply on the wall [IIRC - lauan, with oil-varnish mix slapped on]. I don't care for pegboards or hooks or the off-the-shelf brackets, etc - nothing wrong with them, that's just me. I enjoy making specialized brackets, etc, and I fire them into the wall wherever I want them. I move them whenever I take a notion. In general, my thoughts are driven by a few basic ideas:
1] The more often I use it, the closer it goes to where I am usually standing at the primary bench.
2] I try to devise ways to hold tools so that they are "grab-and-go", meaning that when I take them from the wall, they are in the correct hand and orientation for using them. Yes, this can result in some pretty anal stuff - I just get a kick out of the challenge.
3] I like to condense the space as much as possible, but still allow a "clean" grab.

Kent

Full-sheet sandpaper storage. At the far end, up high. I rarely go to it. On the side is a two-layer alignment fixture [set at 5-1/2" & 4-1/2"] and a hacksaw blade. When I need more qtr sheets, I will break down 2 - 3 full sheets at once.

Qtr-sheet sandpaper storage, with cork blocks & rubber profiles from a detail sander I sold. Oh - and two shatterproof wine goblets to the far right.

2 plates of 3" x 24" x 1/2" glass. I can grab one plate, and use the thumb of that same hand to rotate the lock out of the way [or, rotate it to lock when returning it].

1/8" saw kerfs at an angle [60* ??] in a piece of 2x6 redwood. Card scrapers, extra blades for scraper plane and Stanley #80. Bottom left card scraper is my "glue-bead-squeeze-out-remover" model. Nice stains, eh? Also - my very first Boy Scout compass. Perched above are alignment blocks to give me 90* or 45* reference faces with a file pinned underneath - for scraper rehab.

Plane & Saw till. Also has 3 screwdrivers for planes, a dowel plate, and a round blue talsiman I got in Istanbul - they are ubiquitous in Turkey - that symbol guards against the Evil Eye. Seems to work pretty good. Till back is QSWO with walnut frame and fixtures, the whole thing is angled at maybe 10*. I wanted to keep the projection from the wall as small as possible, but I think I overdid it - would make it maybe 15* if I evre do a second one, which I won't.

Paul McGaha
04-26-2011, 6:20 PM
Looks great Kent.

Beautiful set of tools and good storage ideas.

Appreciate your sense of humor by the way. I saw a comment of yours around the final four that was really funny.

PHM

Bruce Page
04-26-2011, 7:51 PM
Very nice and well thought out.

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2011, 9:47 PM
Looks great Kent.

Beautiful set of tools and good storage ideas.

Appreciate your sense of humor by the way. I saw a comment of yours around the final four that was really funny.

PHM

Thanks, Paul.......rather than humor, it may only be irreverence........

Lee Ludden
04-27-2011, 12:07 AM
Nice layout and nice tools! I am still in the process of getting my shop organized, so threads like this are really helpful.

Jay Maiers
08-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Parts 2, 3, & 4
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164964-Tool-Storage-Photos-Part-2
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164965-Tool-Storage-Photos-Part-3
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?164969-Tool-Storage-Photos-Part-Last-4

Thanks for the photos Kent.

Like everyone else, I'm still organizing ;) I'm beginning to wonder if that'll ever end.

Bud Millis
08-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Nice, I need to do something like that. Need to reclaim my flat surfaces.