PDA

View Full Version : Glaser Hitech back in the game...

Tim Rinehart
04-26-2011, 3:21 PM
FYI :cool:
Just noticed a thread on WoW about Glaser Hitech site active selling tools. Pricey, but likely a very good tool. I have too many tools right now to even entertain it...especially given the great tools from likes of Thompson and D-Way that give me great service.

I'll be curious to hear some reactions to their new tools in comparison to current offerings.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2011, 3:48 PM
That's cool! Have a member of our turning club who pretty much wore out an old Glaser bowl gouge and was disappointed that they were no longer available. Looks like some interesting gouges. Check it out here: Glaser
(http://www.glaserhitec.com/shop/)

John Keeton
04-26-2011, 5:05 PM
Woodturning Design had an article about them in this issue - very interesting history.

Dick Wilson
04-26-2011, 5:22 PM
I hope another nasty food fight doesn't erupt here like happened on Wood Central. The thread was pulled. I just don't understand what all the hoopla is all about. They might be the best tools ever made. They are a lot more expensive than most every other leading tools manufacturer. Close to $300 for some of them and that is without the handle. You got to be kidding me. It will be a cold day in you know where before I spend that much for a single tool. My Sorby, Crown, PM, etc. tools work just fine thank you. If one is fortunate enough to be financially flush more power to them.

Brian McInturff
04-26-2011, 5:28 PM
The close to $300 is with a handle. But yeah, just a little too far out there. I'd love to have the MiniG to travel with but at $1000 for the 12 tool set, that just ain't gonna happen. I have 9 of the old Glasers so I won't need any I guess. Plus I have plenty of Thompsons and they cut just as well.

Tim Thiebaut
04-26-2011, 6:26 PM
Wow those are pricy, I am just hoping that someday I will be fortunate enough to be able to own a couple thompson tools, I will be happy with that.

@ Dick - I guess it could happen, anything is possible, but in the time I have been here I have never seen anyone get out of line ever. There have been some debates sure...but I dont know of anyone crossing the line. If it has happened it has probalby been handled so quickly none of us had to be exposed to the nonsense. Just another thing I love about SMC.

Gary Max
04-26-2011, 6:33 PM
I agree with Dick ----I am staying with the folks who have been around for many years. I have never been much on the fly by night super companies.

David DeCristoforo
04-26-2011, 7:26 PM
Woah, there boys! No reason to hammer on poor ol' Jerry. OK, his tools are expensive. But when Jerry started making tools, Doug was still... well I don't want to say "still in diapers" but it really would not be too far off the mark. Jerry's tools have long been considered "the best" by many including Doug himself as evidenced by this, slurped from Doug's web site:

"I finally bought a gouge made by Jerry Glaser, after the first five seconds it touched the wood I was in love with woodturning, this was to easy. I found out a good tool does make a difference and never looked back...The problem with the best tools are the cost, they are expensive..."

Some years back, Jerry hit some rough spots. I, for one am glad to see him back in the saddle. Those of us fortunate to own any of his tools have never regretted the investment. If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy them. At this point, Doug's tools are probably as good and maybe even better and they are cheaper to boot. But they ain't all that cheap. A 5/8" Thompson with a 20" handle is $145. A 5/8 gouge from Jerry is $185 with the handle. That's a forty dollar diff. Significant but not "all that". And Jerry's screw chuck is legendary and unequaled to this day. Seems like people would be happy to see that one come back.

Doug Thompson
04-27-2011, 8:32 AM
Woah, there boys! No reason to hammer on poor ol' Jerry. OK, his tools are expensive. But when Jerry started making tools, Doug was still... well I don't want to say "still in diapers" but it really would not be too far off the mark. Jerry's tools have long been considered "the best" by many including Doug himself as evidenced by this, slurped from Doug's web site:

"I finally bought a gouge made by Jerry Glaser, after the first five seconds it touched the wood I was in love with woodturning, this was to easy. I found out a good tool does make a difference and never looked back...The problem with the best tools are the cost, they are expensive..."

Some years back, Jerry hit some rough spots. I, for one am glad to see him back in the saddle. Those of us fortunate to own any of his tools have never regretted the investment. If you don't want to pay the price, don't buy them. At this point, Doug's tools are probably as good and maybe even better and they are cheaper to boot. But they ain't all that cheap. A 5/8" Thompson with a 20" handle is $145. A 5/8 gouge from Jerry is $185 with the handle. That's a forty dollar diff. Significant but not "all that". And Jerry's screw chuck is legendary and unequaled to this day. Seems like people would be happy to see that one come back.

Dave, years ago when Jerry sold tools I bought from him and this was back when you could call him if you had a question. I guess you didn't know but Jerry sold the business about 5 years ago and over the past 5 years tools made from A11 weren't available so I took over and started to manufacture where Jerry left off. Over the past 5 years (almost 6) I've manufactured 10's of thousands of tools and met thousands of new woodturners, I don't sell tools to put food on my table so the prices are lower. I don't know what fuss is about but competition is good plus we have choices which is better yet.

The new owner of Glaser and I are the same age, sure we were "both in diapers" when Jerry did much of his work but Jerry started from nothing the same way I did, hopefully we'll be remembered 50 years down the line.

One of the highlights of these years was this when Jerry bought a tool from Johannes Michelsen which I made the steel for his tools.

http://hannestool.com/testimonials
Hi JoHannes,
Just found out about your line of turning tools and I would like to order the 1/2″ diameter one with handle to try out. Please send me a quotation which includes shipping. I’ve retired from the tool business almost three years ago but I still have an interest in the new developments.
Regards,
Jerry Glaser

Bill Blasic
04-27-2011, 8:51 AM
David,
Jerry sold the company and it all went away after a grand opening in Louisville at the 20th Symposium. Doug started making his tools after the company was sold because the price went up so much you couldn't afford to buy one under the new leadership. As far as the Thompson Tool you spoke of you do not have to buy the handle where you do with the Glaser so if you want your own wood handle say, you saved over a $100 instead of $40. But if you do buy Doug's handle you can: Take the tool out to sharpen, Use different tools in the same handle, Put the tool in sharp end first for traveling, Adjust the weight port to the weight you like without all the shot moving around. The 3" Screw Center Chuck from Craft Supplies at 1/4 the cost is a better value for me. I'm not trying to be argumentative just my thoughts as to what and why I buy.
Bill

David DeCristoforo
04-27-2011, 10:06 AM
I appreciate the history lesson. Don't want to argue. Like Glaser tools. Like Thompson tools. Can't afford either. Maybe "someday"!!!!!

Al Wasser
04-27-2011, 10:13 AM
I won't pick sides here, but I will say I have one of the older screw chucks. I use it all the time and consider it one of the best tools I have.

Hayes Rutherford
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
I went to the new Glaser Hitech website mainly to check out the tool costs. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. The only way I will buy is if it comes with a guarantee that "anything you turn with a new Glaser tool will immediately sell for big bucks or return for a full refund."

Bob Bergstrom
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM
The video on freezing (under cpm steels) not only tools, but even women's pantyhose is worth the watch.

Doug Thompson
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
We are woodturners and we buy and buy and buy at least one of everything... But that's another post all together.

EDIT - 50 years from now the guys on this forum will talk about the new steels... A11 will be a thing from the past and what was the name of those two companies. I wish I could be there...

Tim Rinehart
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
We are woodturners and we buy and buy and buy at least one of everything... But that's another post all together.

EDIT - 50 years from now the guys on this forum will talk about the new steels... A11 will be a thing from the past and what was the name of those two companies. I wish I could be there...
Doug...you're so right on that. Imagine how they'll laugh at how we used to use chicken schmaltz to dry our wood too!!!;)

Alan Trout
04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Doug,

I sure wish you would make me a 3/8 French Bedan out of a piece of 1/2" bar stock and a 1/2" V bowl gouge with about 3" more flute length. I promise I will be indebted to you forever:)

Alan

Alan Zenreich
04-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Tim,

Just imagine... adding a little vanadium and perhaps a dash of chromium to dessicated and powdered schmaltz. Then reform under pressure and cryotreat... you've got your next generation multipurpose cutting/drying tools.

Doug Thompson
04-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Alan, call me I might be able to do something. 440-241-6360

Dick Wilson
04-27-2011, 12:25 PM
I have posted here and on a couple of other forums and I think my wording has been a little strong. I certainly do not want to give that impression. I am retired and as such I am on a nice fixed income, which puts "limits" on what I WANT to spend. I am still using my first lathe, a Jet 1442 that I have replaced the belt, pulleys, and bearings once because of tons of use. It sure doesn't owe me anything. I am saving my pennies for a new lathe. Ergo, I am being somewhat of a dime pincher on a lot of stuff. Would I like to have Glaser tools or Doug's tools? Heck yes, they are top of the line. It is people like Jerry and Doug who push the technology that gives us all the marvelous tools that are available. After I get my new lathe I will be aiming my sites on the best tools available.

Jonathan Spool
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Looks to me that Glaser has redesigned the flute shape. The Glaser bowl gouges I own have more of a v flute than the gouges I saw advertised on the site. I would consider that a good developement as I never thought the Glaser gouges I had, while they cut real well, didn't clear as well as I would like.

Jamie Donaldson
04-27-2011, 4:59 PM
If you closely compare the flutes of different brands of deep flute gouges, there are variations all over the place. I learned to turn with a Sorby U flute, and don't like a V flute that is as tight as a P&N or the old Glaser as examples. Doug Thompson makes both V and U flute profile gouges, but his V is more open than the original V's, almost a parabolic, and his U's are almost a half circle, more open than original U's. I have gouges of both of Doug's flute designs, and really like his V for much of my use. The old style closed V tools were difficult to grind to a good Ellsworth/Irish profile on the wings, but Doug's V is a piece of cake with my Wolverine jig.

Douglas Stevensmo
05-05-2011, 9:05 PM
Well I visited Doug's site looking for a new skew... None available in the size I needed. Visited GlaserHitec site and ordered a 1 inch skew to replace my worn out hunk of metal. Got a call from Paulo Marin the morning after I ordered the skew wanting to know how I wanted the tool engraved. He sent me an email when the tool shipped. The tool arrived yesterday afternoon, took it to the studio and sharpened it, completed an order for 20 Chair back spindles with it last night. Love the tool only had to sharpen it once. Spindles were all hard maple. Got a call this morning from Paulo checking to see if the tool had arrived. Just a pleased customer.