PDA

View Full Version : How Many Systainers do you own?

Frank Pellow
02-02-2005, 9:13 PM
I picked up some more Festool stuff today and the Festool section of my shop is getting filled with systainers. A year ago I had never heard of a systainer and now I have 14 of them. They seem to breed. I expect that others have the same "problem" and I was wondering how my count compares.

So, I thought I would run a small poll.

For those of you that don't know, systainers are heavy duty containers (well the outside is heavy duty -the inside is sometimes flimsy :( ) popular in Europe and used mostly for hand held power tools. One of best features of systainers is that they can be connected together.

Pete Harbin
02-02-2005, 9:47 PM
I wouldn't say None (and I don't want any), but more like None (but I'm in no hurry to buy any.)

I'm pretty pleased with my collection of tools that I'm using (no Festools), but years down the road I wouldn't want to say that I wouldn't consider Festool for future purposes.

Pete

Jim Becker
02-02-2005, 9:52 PM
One per tool...and I'm glad I bought the little base with the wheels as it makes it really easy to move them about the shop in one "stack"!

JayStPeter
02-02-2005, 10:34 PM
I have 3 (got a new one today). One I don't use. The one for my ATF is temporarily in use until I get a drawer built. It'll probably be the same for my OF1400. I'll keep 'em stored for when I have to transport the tools (along with all the other tool cases I have). If I get 14, I'll have to do something else (maybe a new house) :eek:

Jay

Frank Pellow
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't say None (and I don't want any), but more like None (but I'm in no hurry to buy any.)

I'm pretty pleased with my collection of tools that I'm using (no Festools), but years down the road I wouldn't want to say that I wouldn't consider Festool for future purposes.

Pete
I would like to reiterate that systainers are not limited to Festool. I understand that in Europe one can get tools from most manuafactures in systainers. And, even in North America, one can purchase non-Festool systainers -for example from Mafell.

Also, one can purchase empty systainers and fit them out for many different tools and accessories. For example, I keep my DeWalt corded drill and drill bits in a systainer.

It is my hope that systainers will catch on here and will be provided (as an option) by more tool manufacturers.

Mark Singer
02-02-2005, 10:44 PM
2 + 2 is 4 still ...2 now only though...soon more....maybe??? maybe not??

Frank Pellow
02-02-2005, 10:57 PM
One per tool...and I'm glad I bought the little base with the wheels as it makes it really easy to move them about the shop in one "stack"!
Only one per tool! :p You can do beter than that, Jim. :D

I have 2 per tool. That is 7 tools (6 of them from Festool) and 14 systainers.

Pete Harbin
02-03-2005, 1:57 AM
Got ya Frank! I was thinking a tool for each systainer.
I do have to say that I have considered some empty systainers for organization. A while back I was checking them out on the Tanos site. They allow you to totally customize the colors of the systainers, but I don't think they sell/ship them to the US.
I'll be doing a re-org of the shop in a couple of months, and was weighing the option of building a set of shelves to store tools in their existing cases, or to utilize systainers. I still need to document the measurements of all of the tools I want to store to determine what systainers would be required.

Right now I keep each tool in it's case, since I have them sitting on the floor in one corner of the shop. Any tools that didn't come with cases are now stored in a couple of quick and dirty Home Depot pre-fab cabinets.

Pete

Tom LaRussa
02-03-2005, 7:12 AM
I wouldn't say None (and I don't want any)
I would, and did. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have absolutely no interest in buying a bunch of expensive plastic boxes.

When someone can tell me how $ystainers would make my dovetails fit better, then maybe I'll think about it.

I'm going to shut up now before I say something I'll regret.

Rant (narrowly) prevented.

Jeff Sudmeier
02-03-2005, 8:13 AM
I voted, none, but would like some someday. Then I read the post and realized it wasn't just festtool.

When I buy a tool one of the considerations is the case that comes with it. All of the tools that I have cases for, live in those cases. They are better protected and I can take them to a job, much easier. This new bag craze really peeves me! What happened to good old plastic :)

Ken Salisbury
02-03-2005, 9:11 AM
WAAAAAY TOOO MANY ! ! !

All of which are safety hazzards. Just laying around empty - all over the place. I found one last week under a pile of scrap from a Craftsman sander purchased in 1932 :) . Then again I have found some which I have no idea what came in them. I am considering filling them all with concrete and selling either in my next garage sale or even on E-Bay :) as boat anchors.

p.s. I will not include a direct link to the auction

Keith Outten
02-03-2005, 12:30 PM
None, I don't have any room for plastic boxes.

Chris Padilla
02-03-2005, 5:14 PM
I plan to build my own little storage/pull-out thingies for the 8 or so that I have. I think most of my F tools will stay in the systainers but the two drills I have will most likely be bench sitting...I just grab 'em way too much to be fussing with a systainer.

I'm waiting for Festool to start offering some of their specialized inserts separate from the systainers. Uncle Bob thinks they will soon start doing this.

John Weber
02-03-2005, 5:24 PM
Ken,

The way Festool stuff sells on ebay or even this forum I bet you could make a fair bit selling them withtout the concrete. Seriously if you want to get rid of them, I bet there are enough guys on the forum to make some decent money for Freedom Pens or a new Festool tool yourself.

John

P.S. I bet they sell for $35 - $50 each on the bay...

All of which are safety hazzards. Just laying around empty - all over the place. I found one last week under a pile of scrap from a Craftsman sander purchased in 1932 :) . Then again I have found some which I have no idea what came in them. I am considering filling them all with concrete and selling either in my next garage sale or even on E-Bay :) as boat anchors.

Per Swenson
02-03-2005, 7:02 PM
Festool dust collection and the systainers simply pay for themselves.
We would start cleanup on a job 1/2 hour before qutting time. And it used to be a scramble to be out the door and in the truck. Got that down to a comfortable 10 minutes. Thats 3.3 manhours (2 guys) a week, about $80 Or $4160.00 a year. Now I don't feel guilty about buying more.

Mark Singer
02-03-2005, 7:33 PM
I just got 2 more?

Frank Pellow
02-03-2005, 7:52 PM
I just got 2 more?
Congratulations. Does one of them contain the 1400 router?

Greg Mann
02-03-2005, 8:15 PM
I have a bunch and, in some cases, have moved up one size for certain tools. I found it too cumbersome to try to fit the vacuum accessories into the 1 size mounted on the vac, so I changed it to a 2, and now use the 1 for drill bits, screw bits, drill and chamfer combo tools, etc. I also upsized a few to make it easier to close over cords that are left in a relaxed state. In each case there has been some other tool or class of clutter that benefited from the extra box. Unlike Keith, I find that plastic boxes sometime make more room as they encourage organization, but only if they are uniform to each other.
That said, my all-time favorite boxes are some open topped square containers we used to use where I work. They were 14.3 inches square overall, about 12 inches square inside, and about six inces deep. They had a 12 inch deep version but we tended to overload those. When stacked, the top box sealed the one below. They stacked to infinity if you wanted, had a honey-comb supported bottom which would easily hold more that you could comfortably lift, and were indestructible. The rim made for a comfortable carry from any direction. At that time, they were about $2.50 each and we often delivered product to customers with the box as a semi non-returnable. Needless to say, our supply dwindled over the years, and, as our work changed, we chose not to replace our stock. I have 2 left. :( They were made in a Detroit suburb by Continental Plastics and are no longer listed as a product. Maybe they have some stacked up in a corner....?

Mark Blumer
02-03-2005, 8:39 PM
As of today (I just got my 1400 router!) I have 6 Systainers and one Sortainer. I love them but I think the quality of the liners could use serious improvement. I did take someone's advice, I forget whose, to photograph the inside the first time I open the container so I have some future clue as to how to restuff it. That is especially true of the new router...you should see how they crammed accessories and small parts in every corner!

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

aurelio alarcon
02-03-2005, 10:12 PM
They are of no use to me. I don't have any, and I don't want any. But if they help you out--by all means go for it.

Mark Singer
02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Frank,

Your reading my mail...the other is the RO125 Rotex....I already really love it!

Congratulations. Does one of them contain the 1400 router?

Frank Pellow
02-04-2005, 7:08 AM
As of today (I just got my 1400 router!) I have 6 Systainers and one Sortainer.

Congratulations on the 1400 Router, Mark. (I plan to get one but not for a little while.)

I love them but I think the quality of the liners could use serious improvement.
It is unlikely that Festool will do anything about their flimsy liners. See the thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10385 which addresses this issue.

I did take someone's advice, I forget whose, to photograph the inside the first time I open the container so I have some future clue as to how to restuff it. That is especially true of the new router...you should see how they crammed accessories and small parts in every corner!
Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)
Good idea. I will do that in the future.

Christian Aufreiter
02-04-2005, 8:58 AM
Hi Frank,

here's my list:
- SYS #1: 1
- SYS #2: -
- SYS #3: 3
- SYS #4: 2
- Sortainer: 1
- Minisystainer: 1

My dad's list:
- SYS #1: 1
- Minisystainer: 1

Just guess who convinced my dad to buy Systainers (read: Festools) :D .
I've also been thinking about buying an empty Systainer for my corded drill and maybe two for storing hand tools but although that would be incredibly nice I couldn't convince myself to pay $$ for it. But I'm almost sure that I'll do in the long run.

Regards,

Christian

Bill Arnold
02-04-2005, 9:24 AM
...because I'd rather build my own storage and outfit it as needed. Guess it kinda goes back to the 'I'm a woodworker, so why buy something I can build' thingie...;)