PDA

View Full Version : Stickley Tabouret

Andrew Yang
04-26-2011, 1:20 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lk6s2n2b0P1qguagg.jpg (http://newcanuckworkshop.tumblr.com)

After what seems like forever, I finally have my first real project to post. My only other project was of the "I Can Do That" variety. I had to make a 2nd top for this after my first top decided flat was overrated. I was going to finish this with a simple oil finish, but I've been told it needs to match our bedroom furniture, so it will be stained now.

I mostly followed plans from an old issue of Woodworking Magazine, with a few changes here and there. The legs and top are both a bit thinner than called out in the magazine. Also, I didn't cut out the corbels on the lower stretchers. The test fit of the lap joint turned into a final fit. I'm hoping it doesn't crack. It's made it through a few months from the winter into the spring, and so far so good.

Deane Allinson
04-26-2011, 7:42 PM
Looks first class. I think that the proportions are very good. Top thickness works very well with legs. Good job. Something to last 100+ years.
Deane

Andrew Yang
04-27-2011, 3:07 PM
Thanks for the look and comments Dean! It's a bit sad that people have become so accustomed to cheap, disposable furniture that they're thrown off by the weight of the table. Solid wood is quite a bit more dense than melamine covered particle board.

Jim Koepke
04-27-2011, 3:56 PM
Looks great Andrew.

Any thoughts on cutting a piece to fit on the lower stretchers to make a shelf?

jtk

Michael Peet
04-27-2011, 7:34 PM
Nice, Andrew. What kind of wood?

Mike

Charles McKinley
04-27-2011, 11:04 PM
I read that magazine. You did a great job on the table. It looks great.

Andrew Yang
04-27-2011, 11:45 PM
@Jim To be honest, it was all I could do to complete the project as close to the plans as possible. Being my first "real" project, I hadn't really contemplated any serious modifications.

@Michael I used hard maple only because I managed to purchase a couple hundred board feet off Kijiji for $1.50/bd ft.

Now for the finish. I have a water soluble aniline dye and a polyurethane finish ready to go. Just wetted the table down today to dewhisker before applying the dye.