PDA

View Full Version : Tops for Library

Terry Quiram
04-26-2011, 8:36 AM
I support our local librarys childrens Summer Reading Program with tops that are used as prizes. I have been doing this for the last 5 years. This year I will also donate a lidded box and a special top to be used as the "grand prize" for one boy and one girl. I never hear from any of the winners but I don't care as I know it promotes reading. My thanks to the library for letting me participate.

Pete Jordan
04-26-2011, 8:55 AM
Wonderful job Terry!

Are you using the Decorating Elf on top of your tops?

I just got one and love it.

Steve Schlumpf
04-26-2011, 8:56 AM
Terry - what a great way to give back to your community! Bet the kids love the tops!

How did you color them? What finish did you use? Are they one piece or was the stem turned separate?

John Keeton
04-26-2011, 9:21 AM
Terry, great gift on your part! And, fantastic variety - I would have difficulty coming up with all the different ideas for these. I love the brightly colored ones.

James Combs
04-26-2011, 9:24 AM
Terry - what a great way to give back to your community! Bet the kids love the tops!

How did you color them? What finish did you use? Are they one piece or was the stem turned separate?

Ditto what Steve said and maybe give some average sizes. Some really nice work.

Phillip Key
04-26-2011, 9:40 AM
Nice! Ditto Steve's question about finishing them.

I made a couple of tops for my kids when I was starting to learn to turn. It might be time to check out the scrap box and see if I've got any potential tops in there!

bob svoboda
04-26-2011, 11:30 AM
Really a great effort and for a wonderful cause. Love the tops!

Art Manansala
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Wow, those are really awesome. I really never give Tops much thought - but you've really opened my eyes. Great work!

Art

John Hart
04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
Wonderful work Terry!!
I like the colors and the wood tone pieces both! Too Cool.

I just printed out your pics for reference. I gotta make a bunch for the kids at a show before Mothers Day. (no rest for the weary)

Tim Thiebaut
04-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Wow that is a nice pile of tops you have there! Very nice of you to do something like this!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-26-2011, 11:57 AM
I have a great deal of respect for anyone who gives up their most treasured commodity (time) for others. Those kids will love them and you get the peaceful sleep of the generous.
faust

Scott Hackler
04-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Great work. How are you coloring those? They look great and I am sure the kids will really enjoy them,

Terry Quiram
04-26-2011, 8:56 PM
Thank you everyone.

All of the colored tops are one piece. I only use hard maple. Hard Maple holds the body rigid while I am turning the stem. If it isn't rigid the stem flexes while turning and will wobble when the top spins. I start with a 2" sq x 6 1/2" long blank and can get 3 tops. I turn the body of the top then sand to 320, apply a base color then "chatter". Next I add all the extra enhancement colors. I use Prizma Colors. The only finish is White Diamond then Carnuba on the Beal buffs. For "chatter" I use one or more of the following: 2 chatter tools, Sorby and the one with the black rubber handle, full size and mini Sorby spiraling tool, a metal working knurling tool, a Apprentice Wagner Texturing Tool (3/8 x 12) and for mild "chatter" I hang a 3/8" spindle gouge way over the tool rest. I don't have a Decorating Elf but it is on my list.

Most of the natural tops are 2 piece. I started doing this because I was given some killer figured Maple from an instrument maker. The pieces were warped to badly to use for anything else. I buy actual sized 3/8 maple dowels. Drill a hole in the body blank 1/64 smaller than the dowel and press in with an arbor press. A little CA holds them in place. I even have some 5/16 Cocobolo dowels that make excellent stems.

Most of the tops are 2" or smaller. I do have some 3" tops but they are hard for the kids to spin. Heck I even have trouble spinning them.

I probably turn 300 tops a year some for sale and some for donations. Our club also sells tops at Christmas to raise funds for a local charity.

I get my Prizma colors here. http://www.cheapjoes.com/art-supply/PM03620_4589_prismacolor-premier-double-ended-art-marker-set-primary-and-secondary-colors.asp

John W Dixon
04-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Terry those tops are fantastic! Great looking variety and the colors are top notch. Thanks for the link on the Prizma colors. I think I'll check them out.

John Hart
04-27-2011, 6:31 AM
Well...you got me started Terry. :) I made three tops last night. Soft Maple (just wanted to practice)
Also...I went to Wally World and got a package of multi-color sharpies and used those. The colors are real vivid, but I was wondering if you had any negative experiences with sharpies?

Roland Martin
04-27-2011, 7:01 AM
Great selection of tops, Terry, all very well done, nice coloring and best of all you are doing something for the kids and community that is absolutely selfless, I commend you for your generosity. Also, thank you for the info you provided.

Terry Quiram
04-27-2011, 9:22 AM
Well...you got me started Terry. :) I made three tops last night. Soft Maple (just wanted to practice)
Also...I went to Wally World and got a package of multi-color sharpies and used those. The colors are real vivid, but I was wondering if you had any negative experiences with sharpies?

John sharpies will work. I have used them in the past. The Prizma colors are brighter and seem to hold their color longer than sharpies. As a side note I tried to finish both sharpie and Prizma colored tops with friction polish and found that the colors will smear.

Richard Coers
04-27-2011, 10:08 AM
You also have to be careful with the Sharpies as the felt tip will glaze over with too much speed on the lathe.
"Top" notch work as usual Terry!

Steve Campbell
04-27-2011, 2:37 PM
Very nice colorful tops the Terry. What a great way to give back. I bet the kids love them.

Steve

John Hart
04-27-2011, 8:01 PM
John sharpies will work. I have used them in the past. The Prizma colors are brighter and seem to hold their color longer than sharpies. As a side note I tried to finish both sharpie and Prizma colored tops with friction polish and found that the colors will smear.

Cool...I'll stick with them and see how it goes. Thanks for the warning on the friction polish....I almost went that route. Maybe I'll just break out the lacquer!! :)

Bernie Weishapl
04-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Terry that is a great gift and way to give back to the community. Really a nice looking bunch of tops.

Baxter Smith
04-27-2011, 11:52 PM
Great colors, great variety of shapes, great gifts!