PDA

View Full Version : Hickory collaboration

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Here's the hickory vessel, a collaboration that Steve & I made & showed at the April meeting of the Chicago Wood Turners Club. It's 21 " tall X 10 " dia. I thought was a pretty nice piece of hickory. So I thought I'd show it here too.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
That is quite the vase Joe! Great form - really pretty wood and the size is something I will have to try one of these days! Very nice work!

John Keeton
04-26-2011, 7:05 AM
Joe, you guys do great work with this form. I am curious about the hollowing setup you have permitting you to go that deep. Please tell me more about that.

Bill Bolen
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM
I always look forward to your next post Joe! You do such beautiful work and of a size I don't often see. Another beautiful piece. That Hickory really came alive in your hands...Bill...

Bob Bergstrom
04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
John,
Joe has posted pics of the shop he uses here on the forum. Here is the url for one of them. Big time equipment.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?101839-Todays-2-rough-Turnings.-2nd-one-was-rough-on-me!&p=1022142

Bob Bergstrom
04-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Boy, that picture does not show how beautiful this piece really is. Seeing it in person was a real treat. The way you chose emphasize the grain is fantastic. Do you use a buffer on the finish or is that straight from the gun?

John Hart
04-26-2011, 11:34 AM
Wow...big sucker ain't it? I'm sitting here thinking, "Now what do I have that's 10" diameter?"....and then I think about a recent piece I was working on that was 20" long. It took up most of the lathe!!!!

But I haven't worked on anything that was BOTH!!

And it's a nice looking piece as well!

More inspiration. :) Thanks!

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-26-2011, 12:13 PM
John
First thanks for the positive comments.
We use a hollowing system designed & built by Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. Steve my collaborator's 1/2 owner of the company. He will be displaying & demoing the boring bar system at the AAW Symposium this summer along with their tool rest & steady rest. They'll be set up with Bruce Hoover's sanding glove booth in the vendor area.
They don't advertise or have a web site, but have sold a lot of tools through word of mouth. Many of the Chicago members are familiar with their tools and have bought tools from them.
I don't have a real good picture of just the hollowing system. However here is a couple of pic's of it in use. We use a Rolly Munro cutter adapted to this system to do the cutting.

Joe, you guys do great work with this form. I am curious about the hollowing setup you have permitting you to go that deep. Please tell me more about that.

Jeff Moffett
04-26-2011, 2:29 PM
Joe, I really like your large forms, and that shop looks like a glimpse of heaven: lathes from Robust, Powermatic and Oneway along with tons of windows and a shop dog. It just doesn't get any better than that!

Chip Sutherland
04-26-2011, 2:56 PM
Yep, I saw the same things. Looks like retirement heaven.

Dan Hintz
04-26-2011, 2:59 PM
Goog God, that hollowing system is bigger than my lathe!

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-26-2011, 3:21 PM
You right Jeff. It's a dream studio & a pleasure to work in.
There's actually 2 Powermatics a Robust, Oneway, old Delta & a Jet mini, lathe along with a full size metal lathe, & milling machine. Also a total dust collection & as you seen a Great dog. Look out the windows & many times you'll see deer & wild turkeys within a few feet of the studio. Probably why it seems like I spend more time in Steve's studio than I do in my own. It's like living the dream!
Joe, I really like your large forms, and that shop looks like a glimpse of heaven: lathes from Robust, Powermatic and Oneway along with tons of windows and a shop dog. It just doesn't get any better than that!

John Hart
04-26-2011, 4:26 PM
I can't look at those shop pictures. They make me queasy.

John Keeton
04-26-2011, 5:04 PM
Joe, thanks for posting the pics!! I look forward to seeing the demos at St. Paul. And, pass along to Steve my compliments on the "studio" - fantastic facility!

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-26-2011, 5:23 PM
Thanks Bob.
Many don't want to believe us but really, there is No spraying or buffing. The finish is right off the brush.
Boy, that picture does not show how beautiful this piece really is. Seeing it in person was a real treat. The way you chose emphasize the grain is fantastic. Do you use a buffer on the finish or is that straight from the gun?

Michael James
04-26-2011, 8:50 PM
That one's up to your usual standards! Very nice - Thanks for posting!
mj

Quinn McCarthy
04-26-2011, 8:51 PM
Nice vase. Just love the wood and grain.

Isn't May collaborators month wih the AAW?

Might want to check that out.

Quinn

BILL DONAHUE
04-26-2011, 9:17 PM
That's a gorgeous piece in every respect! Hickory has become one of my favorite types of wood but I haven't gotten one this nice yet.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2011, 9:31 PM
Joe that is a beauty for sure and the shop well it is to die for.