PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple salad bowl

Curt Fuller
04-25-2011, 10:45 PM
I went on vacation recently to Kauai, Hawaii and while there are lots of amazing things to see and do, it's also somewhat of a woodworking paradise. They have such beautiful native woods to work with. But there also seems to be so many gifted artists for such a small place along with a very unique and simple beauty to their work. As a turner though, I was drawn to their beautiful and simple bowls. So I had to come home and try to turn a "umeke". I don't know if I captured the actual form, and it definitely isn't a Hawaiian wood. But for someone that struggles with bowls, I think this is the best bowl form I've ever done. It's Silver Maple, 12" x 5", finished with AO and waxed.

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 11:03 PM
This is a beautiful bowl, Curt. I don't know much of traditional Hawaiian forms, but this is a beautiful piece. I'm looking forward to seeing what other Hawaiian inspiration your trip provided. Did you get to bring any wood back with you?

Also, I found the following link which I found interesting... I can't speak to the accuracy of the information contained, but it's still interesting.

http://www.patkramer.net/html/traditional_bowls.html

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Beautiful bowl Curt - you should be proud of it!

John Keeton
04-26-2011, 6:58 AM
Great bowl, Curt, and congrats on the trip to Hawaii! Never been, but would love to do that someday. Looks like with airfare going up, it may not happen.

I really like the clean lines of this one, and it really is hard to beat silver maple. I know the Hawaiian woods are beautiful, but good ol' maple is a sure winner, too.

Michelle Rich
04-26-2011, 7:38 AM
super piece of maple & the shape is pleasing & begs to be picked up & cherished.

philip labre
04-26-2011, 7:44 AM
Great bowl, Curt!!! Nice wood, finish and the shape begs to be picked up.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-26-2011, 8:04 AM
Alright Curt,
I'm ready. Chop up some romaine, tomatoes, cucs and peppers. I'll bring the dressing and croutons. Very inviting salad bowl. Now, we need some matching salad dishes and a couple carved salad scoops to go with it.
faust

Tim Rinehart
04-26-2011, 8:18 AM
Curt...really well done. That's a challenging shape to get a nice continuous flow on the inside with consistent wall thickness. Looks to be a fantastic bowl to hold.
Very nice!

Roger Chandler
04-26-2011, 1:06 PM
Very, very good bowl!!! That one is a winner for sure! That form is superb, but is not like any "umeke's" that I have seen in pictures, but I have only seen about 4 or 5, and my knowledge is probably less than yours as to the umeke form.

Outstanding bowl............love the rim bevel and the wood is certainly beautiful as well.

Gary Conklin
04-26-2011, 1:09 PM
Now that is a classic salad bowl! Looks great, loving the dropped rim.

bob svoboda
04-26-2011, 2:03 PM
The wood and the form are perfect for each other. Really nice bowl!

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2011, 9:56 PM
That definitely is a beauty Curt. Really like the simple form. Well done.

Hayes Rutherford
04-26-2011, 10:12 PM
That is a great salad bowl.

Scott Hackler
04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Very nice Curt. You should see about getting some Koa or Mango and working up #2 in a Hawaiian wood. There are several Hawaiian members here that might be up for a wood trade. I have personally done this and received some fantastic wood in a trade. While on vacation over there, my wife wouldn't let me throw our cloths away and fill up the suitcases with wood....:)

Jeff Nicol
04-27-2011, 7:49 AM
Curt, There is nothing like a nice simple bowl and how it feels in your hands, this one has all the makings of a favorite bread or salad bowl! The little eyes in the wood give it just enough character to bring it up a couple levels of beauty along with funcionality!

Nice job,

Jeff

Dan Forman
04-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Classic, like the inward slant to the rim too, and the figure adds interest.

Dan

Steve Campbell
04-27-2011, 2:28 PM
Curt I really like the form on this one. You did that beautiful piece of wood proud.

Steve

John Hart
04-27-2011, 7:58 PM
Beautifully done Curt. I would have to say that it is your best "basic" bowl as well....although, you do have a tendency to dazzle us with your see-through pieces...it's kinda hard to rate!! :)

David Reed
04-27-2011, 8:14 PM
I like your bowl very much Curt. Nice fair curves and I especially like the rim treatment. Looks like you are over that bowl struggling thing.

. . . "umeke". I don't know if I captured the actual form

Not sure if you captured the "umeke" or not, but it suits me just fine. Don't you need a license to hunt them as well as Egyptians?

Curt Fuller
04-27-2011, 9:13 PM
Thanks everyone for all the encouragement!

This is a beautiful bowl, Curt. I don't know much of traditional Hawaiian forms, but this is a beautiful piece. I'm looking forward to seeing what other Hawaiian inspiration your trip provided. Did you get to bring any wood back with you?

Also, I found the following link which I found interesting... I can't speak to the accuracy of the information contained, but it's still interesting.

http://www.patkramer.net/html/traditional_bowls.html

Keller, that's a great link. I've bookmarked that for future reference.
One thing I'm finding is that the Hawaiians, The Egyptians, The Native Americans were all kind of like the people here on Sawmill Creek. The diversity in their styles and designs makes it pretty hard to nail down a shape or form that can define any one of them.

Quote John Keeton "Curt, and congrats on the trip to Hawaii! Never been, but would love to do that someday. Looks like with airfare going up, it may not happen."
John, you only live once. And airfare never gets any cheaper. Wait too long and you'll be one of those old guys over there with their swimming trunks pulled clear up to their armpits.;)

Baxter Smith
04-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Great wood and great shape Curt! Can't beat that it is useful too!

John Altberg
04-28-2011, 4:41 PM
Beautiful bowl, Curt. Excellent link, David Keller!

Robert McGowen
04-28-2011, 7:27 PM
Very nice, Curt! It looks like you combined the wood and the form quite well.

Roland Martin
04-28-2011, 8:23 PM
Very nice bowl and a great hunk of wood.

Jim Burr
04-28-2011, 8:27 PM
Musta missed this Curt...shame on me because it's a great Callabash? style. That'll hold some rabbit food!