PDA

View Full Version : How many band-aids per shop season?

Ruhi Arslan
04-25-2011, 10:28 PM
I don't consider myself "clumsy" but it seems like I've been using one or two band-aids pretty much every time I spend long enough time in the shop. Mostly, from the edges of the chisels, from edge of the jointed sharp corners like paper cuts, while changing blades, etc. It annoys me so much but seems like I cannot help it. Not to mention the splinters... :o

Cary Falk
04-25-2011, 10:53 PM
I can't complete a project without spilling some blood.

Bill Huber
04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
That is why I like to work with bloodwood....:D

Dave Morrow
04-26-2011, 1:05 AM
I keep a stapler and CA glue near by. Band-aids are too small for my mishaps.

Don Morris
04-26-2011, 2:02 AM
I also keep cyanoacrylate glue...crazy glue (remember the post which asked not to use acronyms) at the ready. Doing people have things happen. I have an Industrial/Construction First Aid Kit with various size band aids and compresses in it. The crazy glue works wonders for the small to moderate size minimal bleeder. A band aid or gauze to stop the bleeding then crazy glue over the area to seal it (sometimes followed by a band aid if indicated) seems to promote the fastest healing by keeping the sawdust and dirt out. Crazy glue is somewhat water soluable and thus may need to be re-applied after a short period of time depending on your use.

Larry Edgerton
04-26-2011, 6:01 AM
I leave a little DNA on every job.......

Larry

I do keep a full kit in the shop, in the work trucks, and one on every site.

Charles Lent
04-26-2011, 9:11 AM
I think I've left a blood stain on every significantly large project that I've ever made. It's become sort-of my trade mark and fortunately, most have only been from small cuts and scratches. I still have all ten and they still work properly.

Charley

Mark Denovich
04-26-2011, 9:20 AM
Ditto the recommendation on CA glue. The number of times I've used CA to glue something other than myself, I can count on the fingers of one hand... (heh, thankfully, still 5.)

I almost always use it in conjunction with CA accelerator (I think it's basically acetone in a spray bottle.) CA glue doesn't cure very quickly when it is just sitting on a surface. A quick shot of accelerator and presto, it's cured. Note: it can get a bit hot as it cures.

John Pratt
04-26-2011, 9:30 AM
I don't worry about counting the number of band-aids I use in the shop. I need to worry when I have to count the number of pressure dressings used.

Kent A Bathurst
04-26-2011, 9:41 AM
You know your chisels are sharp enough when you don't feel the slightest inadvertent touch, you see the blood drops on the workpiece. That's OK - the thing that is annoying is a hard wood like WO - jointed + planed adjacent edges leave a corner sharp enough to draw blood, but it's a more aggressive slice than the chisels.

I got a good deal from Amazon on a 3-pack of 100 count all-one-size BandAids.

Jesse Tutterrow
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
That is why I like to work with bloodwood....:D

Remember "Blood Sweat and Tears"?

I accept the Blood, we work in a hobby / profession that almost demands it.
It seems as I get older that I can't take the heat as well so sweat comes with the work.
It is the tears that I have not gotten use to. Tears come with a mis-cut piece of beautiful wood.

;-)

Carl Civitella
04-26-2011, 10:20 AM
A little bit of paper towel and blue painters tape is always close by, tape the paper towel to the minor cut and slam blue
painters tape on it. I always get a scratch from the drill bit on my elbow when drilling on the lathe as i inspect the hole drilled. Carl

Ryan Hellmer
04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I have some t-shirts that have the hems cut off. A little cotton and some tape and we're back to work. Fortunately I haven't had too shop injuries, not even minor ones. Scuffed knuckles is probably the most common... oh and splinters.

Ryan

Glen Blanchard
04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Well I don't consider myself clumsy either, but I once got cut up from a biscuit joiner. Did you see that???? A BISCUIT JOINER!!!!! One has to work awfully hard to get harmed from a BISCUIT JOINER!! (I don't often admit to that in public, either)

Dan Hulbert
04-26-2011, 1:15 PM
I too manage to bleed on almost every project. This past winter, I started wearing framer's gloves when the shop was cold. Really seemed to reduce the number of nicks and cuts. The gloves have taken a beating, but my hands survived.

Jim Rimmer
04-26-2011, 1:20 PM
A little bit of paper towel and blue painters tape is always close by, tape the paper towel to the minor cut and slam blue
painters tape on it. I always get a scratch from the drill bit on my elbow when drilling on the lathe as i inspect the hole drilled. Carl

+1 on the paper towels and painters tape. That reminds me, I need a new roll of paper towels for the shop. :D

Dennis Ford
04-26-2011, 1:24 PM
I tell friends that I have only one rule in my shop, "Don't bleed on the wood". I have broken this rule several times with minor scratches, never so bad that a band-aid was not enough. Judging by these responses, I work more safely than some.

Rod Sheridan
04-26-2011, 1:29 PM
I'm not normally in the Band Aid box, however last week I made a counter top that was laminated with Formica.

I had no idea that Formica was that sharp. I look like I lost a fight with my cat!

regards, Rod.

ray hampton
04-26-2011, 1:32 PM
Band-Aid do come in different sizes BUT the size that I need are always missing

Myk Rian
04-26-2011, 3:41 PM
I keep a box of flexible bandaids on a shelf. Need them about a dozen times a year.
Anything more than that, I'll ask the Wife to take me to the hospital. :)

Jeff Monson
04-26-2011, 5:50 PM
Band-Aid do come in different sizes BUT the size that I need are always missing

All that seems to be left in our boxes of band-aids are the small circle ones, about the size of a dime!! I'm not quite sure what they are even for? Maybe mosquito bites.

I prefer a paper towel and electrical tape, any size, extra absorbent.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-26-2011, 6:08 PM
I'm still on my first bandaid.....bottle that is.....I went to using liquid bandaid....it seals the cut and has an antibiotic in it too.....

ray hampton
04-26-2011, 7:27 PM
All that seems to be left in our boxes of band-aids are the small circle ones, about the size of a dime!! Maybe mosquito bites.

I prefer a paper towel and electrical tape, any size, extra absorbent.
I'm not quite sure what they are even for?

my guess is that they are for small adults or kids

Thomas L. Miller
04-26-2011, 10:11 PM
:)Nope, don't worry about bandaids myself....they aren't any good for a sucking chest wound.
Tom

Brian Effinger
04-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Band-aids!

I don't need no stinkin' band-aids! :p

Just need some paper towel and a rubber band. :D

mreza Salav
04-27-2011, 12:29 AM
I too use a piece of paper towel and blue masking tape.

I am surprised by the number of people who use CA glue on an open wound! Just inhaling this stuff makes my nose burn let alone...

Harvey Pascoe
04-27-2011, 5:29 AM
I am a coward who doesn't like pain, therefore long ago I trained myself how to use chisels and other hand tools without cutting myself, and avoid splinters, with the result that I use maybe one or two bandages per year which is more likely to come from a paper cut than a chisel. Besides, hand injuries can cost me production time and I can't have that.

Think before doing. Never have your other hand in front of a chisel blade is the easy rule for avoiding nasty chisel cuts. Gad, I shiver just thinking about it.

David Hostetler
04-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I tend to be exceedingly safety conscious. And I can honestly say on MOST projects, band aids or other means of first aid are not required. Every now and then I get a small nick or cut here and there, usually comes when I get stupid and change band saw blades without my gloves kind of things...

Now having said that, lawn and garden projects tend to draw blood from me somehow... And I have to go through the shop to get to the lawn & garden equipment, so yeah, I run through a few band aids, and antibiotic ointment...

Mark Denovich
04-28-2011, 4:18 PM
I almost never cut myself with anything that would be an obvious danger. I know how to use a chisel, hold a knife, behave around blades... What gets me are sharp edges when handling boards, corners of machines and cabinets as I'm moving around the shop, something sitting just about far enough out of the way... but not far enough. I haven't been able to do much to improve my safety record in this area. I'm either way too focused, or not focused enough... my knuckles take the majority of the abuse.

Ruhi Arslan
04-28-2011, 4:23 PM
I tend to be exceedingly safety conscious. And I can honestly say on MOST projects, band aids or other means of first aid are not required. Every now and then I get a small nick or cut here and there, usually comes when I get stupid and change band saw blades without my gloves kind of things...

How many of you get "stupid" and change blades without gloves? Raise your hands...

I am raising my both hands... :rolleyes:

Ben Hatcher
04-28-2011, 4:51 PM
How many of you get "stupid" and change blades without gloves? Raise your hands...

I am raising my both hands... :rolleyes:

Two nubs up!

I think that my worst injury happened driving a screw. I was holding the screw and pushing down rather hard on the driver. When the screw slipped to the side I ran the driver bit right into my finger. I still have a bump there 2 years after the fact. Thankfully, a little paper towel and some blue painters' tape got me back to work in no time.

Marty Paulus
04-29-2011, 8:20 AM
I don't get many cuts in the shop. Now when I am wrenching on an engine and I don't bleed the wife worries that the job is not complete or well done. There is nothing like slamming your knuckes into a sharp piece of cast iron flash and driving the grease and dirt into your body! I use what ever is handy at the time to try to slow the blood. Greasy shop towels work but are not recommended:o.

James Patrick
05-13-2011, 1:49 PM
I'm still on my first bandaid.....bottle that is.....I went to using liquid bandaid....it seals the cut and has an antibiotic in it too.....

That sounds great! Where do you find something like that?

Chris Tsutsui
05-13-2011, 4:48 PM
I was picking up glass shards from a mirror I was disposing of wearing thick cowshide leather gloves and a piece of glass that happened to look like a needle went straight through the leather and into a finger... After that I used hand rake and broom to finish the job and don't think too highly of leather gloves.

I'm an office worker so I guess my hands arn't exactly as rough as my carpenter friends. So I can manage to cut my hand on a freshly cut piece of hard maple... On the edge...

ray hampton
05-13-2011, 6:23 PM
I was picking up glass shards from a mirror I was disposing of wearing thick cowshide leather gloves and a piece of glass that happened to look like a needle went straight through the leather and into a finger... After that I used hand rake and broom to finish the job and don't think too highly of leather gloves.

I'm an office worker so I guess my hands arn't exactly as rough as my carpenter friends. So I can manage to cut my hand on a freshly cut piece of hard maple... On the edge...what type of hand
rake ?
the next time I would buy and use leather welder gloves