PDA

View Full Version : I'm in the market for a gas chainsaw. Any recommendations?

Doug W Swanson
04-25-2011, 8:04 PM
Hey all,
I know this is the turners forum but I thought it would be appropriate to post here since a fair amount of time turners tend to use the chain saw to cut logs lengthwise (and not just for cross cutting).;) Obviously this puts extra strain on the saw that doesn't happen otherwise....

Anyway, I currently have a 14" electric chainsaw and it does a decent job on small to medium logs. I recently acquired a bunch of Boxelder, Maple, Black Walnut, etc so I had to borrow a friend's Husqvarna gas chain saw to cut it all up. Now I'm thinking about buying my own saw because I always hate borrowing tools.

I don't want to spend a ton but I also don't want to by a $100 cheapie from the BORG. What's a good, dependable saw for about $200-250?

I know Stihl and Husqvarna have good reputations. Any other brand or model?

Thanks!

Ralph Lindberg
04-25-2011, 8:10 PM
Husky and Stihl are your only real choices. I own a Husky 235 with a 14 inch bar and a 455 with a 24 inch bar

Alan Trout
04-25-2011, 8:17 PM
Rlaph is right but there are others as well. The Makita saws are a heck of a saw for the money and every bit as good as Husky or Stihl. http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=MKA+DCS6421+20&catID=11227 Of course the are the Jones Red which as essentially a husky saw of a different color.

Alan

Steve Vaughan
04-25-2011, 8:25 PM
I don't think you'd go wrong with those mentioned, and, I'd include my Echo 660. It's a great little cutter!

Bill Neddow
04-25-2011, 9:00 PM
Doug, the answers above cover every reliable chainsaw on the market. The rest are unreliable. You get what you pay for and cheap means junk, as you are already aware. I have three Stihls and have used them heavily for years. But, I would be happy with Husquvarna and Makita (which is a re-branded Dolmar -- one of Stihl's major competitors in Germany). The Echos seem to last well, too.

John Hart
04-25-2011, 9:09 PM
I have the Makita 6420 and have been very pleased. Home Depot rents them...takes good care of them, and sells them after the renting has paid them off. I've had mine close to 10 years...mistreated it...and it has been very reliable.

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2011, 9:17 PM
Doug - I have a Husquvarna 357 xp with a 20" bar. Expensive but I wanted a saw that was reliable, easy to start, use and could really be put to work! I love using mine and highly recommend it. I have never seen a Stihl but know there are a lot of folks who love them as well!

Dick Wilson
04-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Ooooooooooooooh!!!! The vortex is getting bigger

Steve Hayes
04-25-2011, 10:31 PM
+1 on the Husky

Doug Palmer
04-25-2011, 10:33 PM
You cannot beat a Stihl. I am very happy with my MS 211 C-BE. It super easy to start, easy to adjust chain tension and is well balanced. I have a 14" guide bar on mine, but it can use a 16". It has the power to cut railroad timbers which is no easy task, (though the creosote does dull the blade quickly).
JMO

Vince Welch
04-25-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi Doug,
I got the following saw and it has been perfect for when I have used it!
Vince
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
STIHL FARM BOSS®
Series 1127
Mid-Range Use
Our number one selling chain saw, enough said. Designed for rugged homeowner or landscape and farm use, the legendary STIHL FARM BOSS® is a true work saw. With plenty of power to spare, you can let the MS 290 do the cutting for you— from limbing, to felling and bucking larger trees into firewood.

Jim Sebring
04-25-2011, 11:42 PM
There are no other quality choices.

Jim Heikes
04-26-2011, 6:33 AM
I have been a Stihl man for 40 years (Farm Boss) and I've always said there is no equal. But just maybe you can teach an old dog a few new tricks. I am very impressed with the Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I'm ready to admit it matches (or exceeds) my Farm Boss.............now if that doesn't start a debate, nothing will.............except drying with DNA that is.

Dan Hintz
04-26-2011, 6:35 AM
Chickens, Jim... chickens...

Roger Chandler
04-26-2011, 6:36 AM
I know a guy who runs a professional logging operation.............supplies timber to the lumber mill. He used to use Stihl exclusively. He uses both large and medium size saws of professional grade. He had several stihl saws that broke the crank in the motors. He now uses Husqvarna exclusively and told my friend who used to work for him that a Husqvarna will give him 5 times the life span of a Stihl.

That is his personal experience from someone who uses chainsaws all day every day.

I have a Husqvarna 359 which is the same almost as the 357 XP Steve Schlumpf was mentioning above. There is just a little tweaking of the rpms on his 357 that designates that number. Both have the same motor. I know my manual has both saws listed in it, and I have been told they are pretty much the same except the 357 xp has higher rpm at the top end.

My 359 has been superb, and rugged!

Donny Lawson
04-26-2011, 6:54 AM
I just bought a Sthil with a 20" bar and it will eat through logs like butter. I went through a truck load of Walnut over last weekend and it worked great. I have a Husky and a Sthil.

Greg Just
04-26-2011, 7:06 AM
Stihl and Husqvarna seem to be the 2 most popular choices here. The size you get will depend on what you want to do with it. Personally, I bought the Husqvarna 137 with a 14 inch bar at Mills and paid less than $200. I don't plan on cutting down any large trees as I will leave that to the pro's. My saw has worked well and for cutting up logs for turning it is all that I need. If you want to try it, let me know.

Jim Heikes
04-26-2011, 7:56 AM
OH NO HERE WE GO AGAIN!!!!!!!! BEAM ME UP SCOTTY......I'M TRAPPED IN THE VORTEX AND I CAN'T GET OUT (and that's a good thing)

James Combs
04-26-2011, 9:35 AM
+1 for the Husqvarna. Have only owned it for a few months but love it. My prior saw was a Craftsman from the mid 70's when Craftsman meant quality. I used it for many decades until a limb pinched it in ~2002 and proceeded to pull it to the ground and fall on top of it crushing the crank case. I tried some used ones in the interim then settled on the Husqvarna.

John Pratt
04-26-2011, 9:47 AM
Husky and Stihl are both great choices (I think Echo is great too), but I think it boils down more to the choices from these two companies. Make sure the saw you get is a professional grade saw. I have a Stihl MS290, but it can't touch my MS362 or MS460. I also have an Echo CS-341 that is really handy for limbing and bucking (a heck of a lot easier to hold for long periods as well).

Scott Hackler
04-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I wanted to ungrade from my POS Craftsman 18" an I went into the local Stihl and Husqvarna dealer. The Stihl sales rep was in the store and I took the local employee to the side and ask him which of the two HE thought was the best. (this place does sales and service, fyi) He said that both brands were great, but he leaned towards the Husqvarna because the air filtration setup was much better and he thought that would extend engine life. I went with a Husqvarna (price on both were very close) and I couldn't be happier. The saw is model 359....I think and with a sharp blade it cuts through logs like butter and will rip a log along the grain without hesitation. One thing I really like about it it a decompression valve that allows for easy pull starting. This saw will start with about three pulls, when its cold.

George Guadiane
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Get a saw big enough to make cuts longer than the swing of your lathe.
In that way, you can cut LARGE blanks in one pass. The advantage there is, with a sharp chain and good tool use, a flat surface to start with.
Can't tell you how much of an advantage that is on the really big (and HEAVY) pieces.

Jim Heikes
04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
My Farm Boss was brandy new in 1974 and I've never had to replace any engine part except the air filter every few months. I'll check back in 2048 to see how the Husky is running............just kidding...............I think the Husky is a great saw!!!! Use it proudly.

Roger Chandler
04-26-2011, 1:53 PM
I have owned my Husqvarna 359 for at least 7 years, and have not had to change anything, not even filter........only gas/oil mix and new chains.

ken gibbs
04-26-2011, 5:33 PM
After 35 years of heating my home with wood, only a Stihl will get my vote for reliability and durability. Well worth the money that I have spent on three major Stihl saws. Most poor judgements of chain saws is directly related to the ability of the user. If you are going to use a chain saw for a powered shovel, just buy a cheap saw because no saw will last through that abuse.

ken gibbs
04-26-2011, 5:36 PM
I for got to mention. the Stihl Farm Boss has single rings on the piston. The 0-28 is the same saw but has double compression rings on the piston. More expensive but worth the diffence in price.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-26-2011, 5:41 PM
I think, just to add more to the vortex, that you need 2 saws, a "big" 20 inch or so for the big blanks, and a climber saw, a top handled (1 handed saw) for trimming the blanks after cutting. I have a Farm Boss, you can get that pretty close to 300 bucks, and recently bought the Sthil climber saw for trimming the blanks. Much handier to use a 14" than a 20...... Echo has a good climber saw too.
Learn how to sharpen the chain by hand. It's not hard, and makes a huge difference if you find a nail or two, or four buried in a tree.

Jack Gaskins
04-26-2011, 6:22 PM
Go to the nearest Stihl dealer and ask if they have anything USED in your price range OR keep your eye on Criagslist. Stihls around here go for $150 to $400. Or if you have a Lowes charge card get the Husqvarna 455 Rancher.

Joe Meirhaeghe
04-26-2011, 9:20 PM
Add me to the Sthil list. My 028 with a 18" bar has served me well for 31 yrs now ( bought it new in 1980). Used up many chains a couple of bars. normal wear items. I had to replace it's fuel pump last year. That's the only repair in 31 yrs. What more could you ask for.
I only hope when I do replace it the next one is as good.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2011, 9:29 PM
+1 on the Stihl. Has never gave me a dimes worth of problems. Farm Boss just keeps cutting wood.

Jake Helmboldt
04-26-2011, 10:57 PM
The chainsaw threads here often have a lot of innacurate information (without getting into the details). Everyone has an opinion, but the useful facts often get discarded. One issue I will comment on is the suggestion for a top handle saw. Bad idea. Top handles are a specialty purpose saw and should be left to pros that need them for limbing while in a tree. Their balance and leverage make them less safe, especially for the novice user.

As for brands, Stihl and Husqvarna are the Chevy and Ford of chainsaws, but by no means the only good saws out there (and they both have good and bad models).

Arboristsite.com is one of your best bets for saw info.

Scott Hackler
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Yeah and keep in mind that the Lowes, Sears and Home Depot versions are often cut down "city boy" versions and not 1) as powerfull as a "landowner" or "professional" models and 2) not meant to last but a 1/4 the lifespan (hence the relatively cheap prices). Find a dealer and do the research.

Rob Holcomb
04-27-2011, 5:17 PM
I agree on the good brands of chainsaw's mentioned here. I have a Husky Rancher 55 with an 18" bar. Nice saw but if I were to buy another one, I would make sure it has a compression release button for easier starting. Although my saw isn't hard to start, you can't start it by holding it with one hand and pulling with the other. There's too much compression. I have to have it on the ground and hold it down with my foot. Other than that, it's a great saw.

Terry Murphy
04-27-2011, 7:00 PM
Don't forget to use good quality and fresh gas!

John Bunday
04-27-2011, 7:24 PM
Stihl Farm Boss. Nuff Said. Sharp chains, Skin the rakers down a bit when sharping and you'll end up with a pile of nice curly shavings and a big pile of wood.......Note of caution: with the reduced height of the rakers the risk of kick back does increase.

Doug W Swanson
04-27-2011, 11:58 PM
Thanks for all of the great info. I've got a couple of saws in mind so now I'll just have to find the best price.

Thanks!