PDA

View Full Version : Simple Pear Bowl

Phillip Key
04-25-2011, 6:14 PM
The church I attended growing up, which my parents still attend, decided to get rid of a couple of pear trees growing in front of the church. My dad is known for woodworking at the church, so they offered him his pick of the wood, which he, in turn, offered me. This is the first bowl from that wood.

It's a simple form, and I think I'd like it better with a smaller foot, but overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2011, 6:23 PM
Phillip,

Beautiful simple bowl! I like the form, the rim treatment, the wood and personally, I like the size of the foot as it gives some stability to the bowl.

What did you use for a finish?

Nicely done!

tom martin
04-25-2011, 6:25 PM
Beautiful wood and bowl! I like the foot as is. Much more functional!

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 7:54 PM
I think that's pretty sweet... Great color, nice little bit of curl, and a nice form. I even like the foot, and I'm a foot hater from way back. Great job!

Phillip Key
04-25-2011, 7:57 PM
Thanks!

The finish is a little mineral oil sanded in and then a thin coat of Myland's friction polish. I was trying to keep the natural color and not add too much gloss.

Jim Burr
04-25-2011, 8:53 PM
I think you have a hit all the way around Philip!! The wood and form is beautiful and simple. I'm a recessed foot guy, but you did well with this and it serves the bowl well. 2 thumbs up!!

John Hart
04-25-2011, 8:57 PM
Yep...leave that foot alone!!! Looks nice through and through. Don't cha just love turning pear? Pure pleasure in my book. :)

Cathy Schaewe
04-25-2011, 9:01 PM
That looks really good -

Richard Madden
04-25-2011, 9:08 PM
I think you did an excellent job... foot and all.

Deane Allinson
04-25-2011, 9:19 PM
Really nice. Like being in church. Quiet and introspective.
Deane

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2011, 9:21 PM
That's a bowl to be proud of! Great form, wood and finish! I think the foot works well as is and I do like the slight slant to the rim!

Is the bowl being returned to the church as a memento? Just curious. Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2011, 9:47 PM
Really nice bowl with simple form and out of some really nice wood. Foot looks fine and would not touch it.

Donny Lawson
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM
I will agree with everyone else on this one. It's a great looking bowl with a nice shape. The foot is (to me) just right.

Phillip Key
04-25-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

Is the bowl being returned to the church as a memento? Just curious. Very nice work!

Probably not. The wood was really wet and I expect this little bowl will warp quite a bit. If I make something that I plan to give to the church, I'll do it the right way so they get something closer to round :)