PDA

View Full Version : drying small walnut bowls????

Robert Culver
04-25-2011, 5:57 PM
Ok I im as green as the lumber that was given to me. A friend of mine gave me some really nice small walnut round blanks I’m guessing 3.5 inches round and 3 inches thick. They look like they would make a nice ring box if I can pull it off I have a few hours of turning under my belt now and am getting ready o made some handles for some Thompson gouges I got. What is a good way to take these on? I’m assuming I will rough them out then dry them before I finish them up. I have heard you can put them in a paper bag with some shavings and take them out of a day and put them back in repeat this until the weight stops changing. I have also heard you can soak them in denatured alcohol im clueless on this process however. One person told me to just finish them out and put an oil finish on them with a lid I hardly think this will work???? Any pointers.

Lee Koepke
04-25-2011, 7:04 PM
Lots of good advice 'round here.

the DNA soak (much debated) you just find a small container ... for small things like that, I use the plastic coffee cans from the office, drop it in and let it soak overnight. Then wrap it in newspaper leaving the hollow of the bowl open, paper bag it for 4 weeks or so and you should be OK.

The small walnut I turned, I turned right to finish and it was OK, but it was already 'half dry' .... It's beautiful wood!

However you plan on drying, the general consensus is when the weight stops changing, you are dry .... I just started too, and weighed my rough while in the bag, so I dont have to take it out each time.

John Keeton
04-25-2011, 7:12 PM
Rob, when you say "lid" are you talking about a lidded box? I doubt you will have much luck with any lidded turning using green wood - it is tricky with dry wood.

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2011, 7:39 PM
I have made a bunch of lidded boxes and green wood doesn't work if you turn to finish. What I do is to turn them to about 1/2" thick on the body and form the lid somewhat. I paint the whole thing with anchorseal after taping the two tenons together. I let them dry then return them after I am sure that it has dried completely. Even if turning with dry wood I have found that I don't completely finish the lid until it has sat for a week or so then finish it completely.

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 8:00 PM
+1 for drying before final turning. There's a nice little video by Richard Raffan on turning boxes... It's a good primer on lidded boxes. I do as Bernie suggested, but I've skipped the anchor seal... I lost a few to cracks so the next batch will likely get the anchor seal.

Robert Culver
04-25-2011, 8:43 PM
Hmmmmmmm so maybe I should figue out another use for them there nice little blanks I have been checking out Raffans videos i have I couple im looking at getting the turning boxes video is one....Any ideas???

Cathy Schaewe
04-25-2011, 8:50 PM
I've used the microwave to very good effect with walnut. I only do it 45 seconds at a time, let it cool in between, and no more than 4 times per day. Weigh it, and when it stops losing weight, it's done.
I know lots of people talk about burning wood, and the smell, but if you do it for that short a time, it's really not an issue. (And who's going to complain? It's my kitchen ....)
But it worked really well with walnut, and would be a good method for a small piece.
In case I'm not clear, rough it out first. It'll probably take you a few days of drying, and then let it stabilize for a few days.

Just my .02.

John Hart
04-25-2011, 9:02 PM
I'm with Cathy on the microwave. I have one in the shop just for this purpose and also follow the 45 second method. But watch the grain orientation and curvature of the piece. Walnut likes to crack at the endgrain.