PDA

View Full Version : Delta Jointer: is my infeed warped?

Jason Saiki
04-25-2011, 5:01 PM
Greetings,

I just purchased a jointer from CL (Delta 37-190) that may be warped. When I put a straight edge (24" Pinnacle) next to the fence (about 4" on the outfeed holding it firmly), the infeed is basically flush with the straight edge. However, when I place the straight edge nearest to me the there is a gap of about 1/32" at the end of the straight edge. However, there is no gap near the cutter.

So is my infeed warped and if it is, is there a way to cheaply fix it? Or did I just waste $100 on a jointer that I can't use?

thanks all:)

Matt Kestenbaum
04-25-2011, 5:15 PM
Hard to tell from your description alone, but you should try putting the straight edge on the in-feed table ONLY (along each edge and diagonally). A longer straight edge than 24" is better. Run a straight edge along the out-feed table in the same pattern..is it flat? If they are both independently flat, then the gap you are find when you bridge the straight edge across the cutterhead and both tables is a matter of the tables not being co-planer. I am not familiar with your model of jointer but assuming the tables are not parallelogram (but ride on Dovetailed ways) then some shimming is in your future.

mickey cassiba
04-25-2011, 6:01 PM
Nothing to add, except that if you have a manual I believe that the procedure is outlined in the 'adjustment' section. If you cannot find the manual using your model number, look up JT360. They are the same unit with different paint.

Jason Saiki
04-25-2011, 6:18 PM
Thanks for your reply guys: I really appreciate it. I'll put the straight edge on the infeed ONLY and see what happens. If I find they are both independently flat, and it is Dovetailed ways, then where do I shim?

Myk Rian
04-25-2011, 6:36 PM
You shim the gibs.
No matter how you look at it, $100 for a Delta 6" jointer isn't a waste.