PDA

View Full Version : Square Ovolo

Joe O'Leary
04-25-2011, 3:23 PM
I really like the look of a square ovolo on the sides of a vise chop. I don't have any molding planes (nor much plane skill). What are some other ways of cutting these?

The chop is 2" thick and the radius part of the ovolo would be about 1 1/4.

Jon van der Linden
04-25-2011, 3:34 PM
Simplest way would be to cut the bulk out with a saw and refine it with a chisel or a rebate plane if you have one.

Chuck Nickerson
04-26-2011, 1:18 PM
Square ovolo? Would that be a chamfered edge?

If so, a recent Lee Valley newsletter had instructions on doing a stopped chamfer.

Joe O'Leary
04-26-2011, 2:11 PM
No, it's a quarter circle with squared ends. You see it on some of Chris Swartz's chops.

Prashun Patel
04-26-2011, 2:14 PM
I believe the edge yr looking for is a 1/4 roundover with square shoulders?

Shopnotes had a workbench issue a year+ back. They did their's by making the jaw a two piece lamination. The inner layer of the front jaw was proud of the outer face by 1/4". The outer face of the front jaw had a roundover. To get the outside shoulder, you'd need another lamination.

Not sexy, though.

john brenton
04-26-2011, 2:26 PM
+5 on Jon's comments.

Is this what you're talking about? http://mamacoke.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/bench.121194753_std.jpg

To piggy back on Jon's recommendation, your best bet might be to start the profile with the rabbet, then mark out your curve on both sides and kerf it out across the grain to match the pencil lines of your profile so you can chisel it out. You wouldn't need to angle your cuts either...just straight across the grain to your lines. A japanese saw would be good for those registration cuts (registration cuts? Is that right?). As you're going across the grain to hog out, then with the grain to smooth, a nice sharp 2" chisel should make quick work. Then you can spoke shave, block plane or rasp it. Or you might even leave the chiseled surface, or chisel so well that all you'd need is a little sanding.

Simplest way would be to cut the bulk out with a saw and refine it with a chisel or a rebate plane if you have one.

Dave Anderson NH
04-26-2011, 2:59 PM
Hi Joe,

I roughed mine out on the bandsaw and cleaned it up with a rasp. Not Neander, I know, but with a chop 6" high and 3" thick it was the easy way out.

Joe O'Leary
04-26-2011, 3:20 PM
Yes, John, that's it.

Hi Dave, I like the B/S idea. I'm not a purist (in anything :D)

Thanks for the help, guys.

Joe

Tony Joyce
04-26-2011, 7:00 PM
From moulding pattern chart.