PDA

View Full Version : Office 2010 Question

Sean Troy
04-25-2011, 1:14 PM
Hey all, quick question. If I purchase Office 2010 for home use, can I load it on both my home computers without any registration or validation problems? thanks, Sean

Dan Hintz
04-25-2011, 2:07 PM
Hey all, quick question. If I purchase Office 2010 for home use, can I load it on both my home computers without any registration or validation problems? thanks, Sean
Legally? No.

Bill Edwards(2)
04-25-2011, 2:17 PM
Try Open Office.

It's free, so nothing to lose.:D

Jim Rimmer
04-25-2011, 2:22 PM
From what I've been able to find, your software key probably will not work on the second computer.

Jeff Bratt
04-25-2011, 2:27 PM
Depends on what license you purchased - some are for 1 computer... some home licenses are for up to 3 computers... others (commercial site licenses) can be for many more... When you register or activate your software MicroSoft can tell what kind of license you have. Whether they choose to do anything about "multiple" installs is hard to predict - and can change in the future.

Lee Ludden
04-25-2011, 3:04 PM
The Home & Student version is licensed for up to three devices, other versions are one per device.

Bob Turkovich
04-25-2011, 3:07 PM
The Home & Student version is licensed for up to three devices, other versions are one per device.

That is correct but you need to be careful. The Home & Student Version does not include Outlook, Access, Visio or Publisher. It does include Word, Excel, PowerPoint and One Note.

Sean Troy
04-25-2011, 3:19 PM
I'm looking at getting Office Professional Academic 2010 version. I get software from Academic Superstore because of the good discounts with my wife being a teacher. I'll check with them about the two installs. Thanks, Sean

Sean Troy
04-25-2011, 3:20 PM
It just doesn't have any of the programs I'll need. thanks, Sean

Jim Rimmer
04-25-2011, 4:22 PM
Check to see if your wife's school has a HUP program with Microsoft that allows you to buy a license cheap (around $10). I got one through my company. You download the software and you get the software key via email (I think).

Sean Troy
04-25-2011, 6:31 PM
Check to see if your wife's school has a HUP program with Microsoft that allows you to buy a license cheap (around $10). I got one through my company. You download the software and you get the software key via email (I think).
I'll check, thanks.

John M Wilson
04-25-2011, 10:18 PM

My company (GM) had a HUP plan for a short time. I got every product I could for about $10 per product. The license lets me install it on one desktop and one laptop. Full versions, everything works, couldn't be happier.

Chuck Wintle
04-25-2011, 10:24 PM
Try Open Office.

and libreoffice is free as well.

Mike Henderson
04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
This isn't Office 2010 but I'm pretty sure that on Office 2007 I read that it could be legally installed on two or three home computers.

Mike

Bryan Morgan
04-26-2011, 12:59 AM
and libreoffice is free as well.

LibreOffice is based on OpenOffice.org minus the evil Oracle overlords...

Bryan Morgan
04-26-2011, 1:03 AM
This isn't Office 2010 but I'm pretty sure that on Office 2007 I read that it could be legally installed on two or three home computers.

Mike

Where did you read that? My company is right in the middle of a massive Micro$oft software audit... In all honesty, I would not pay Microsoft for anything, go get Open Office or whatever.... We pay them thousands upon thousands of dollars and are treated very poorly, like some kind of criminals... and we are very good about licensing. This is not how to treat paying customers.

Curt Harms
04-26-2011, 7:48 AM
LibreOffice is based on OpenOffice.org minus the evil Oracle overlords...

Looks like Oracle overlords decided that fish was too small and threw it back. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/225459/oracles_openoffice_move_may_be_too_little_too_late .html

Darius Ferlas
04-26-2011, 8:51 AM

Mike
That is not correct when it comes the the legality of the idea. We had a Microsoft Audit last year. Pretty brutal and the detail they go into is unbelievable. I had one "deficiency" - a 2007 Pro was installed instead of Standard. Luckily, all we had to do was upgrade the license.

2010 needs to be activated and they now check activation keys against their database. There are "workarounds" but they are ... well... illegal.
2007 can legally be installed on 1 machine but there is no activation.

oh, and +1 for LibreOffice.

Rick Huelsbeck
04-26-2011, 9:07 AM
Technically yes you can, however; you can only use it on one computer at a time.

Mike Henderson
04-26-2011, 9:24 AM
Where did you read that? My company is right in the middle of a massive Micro$oft software audit... In all honesty, I would not pay Microsoft for anything, go get Open Office or whatever.... We pay them thousands upon thousands of dollars and are treated very poorly, like some kind of criminals... and we are very good about licensing. This is not how to treat paying customers.
Well, I'm not sure of that. I'm going from memory and my memory is that it was only for computers used at home. Maybe it was the situation where only one computer could be used at a time. And I think I read it in the license text. But that's a long time ago and I'm just going by memory so don't depend on my memory.

Back when I was installing Office 2007 on my home computer, I had a new computer that failed after I had installed Office 2007. I was able to install it on my replacement computer without problems. I couldn't deactivate it off the failed computer. That's why I checked the license - to see if there would be a problem. But it installed fine and the registration (activation) went through without a hitch.

Mike

Bryan Morgan
04-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Looks like Oracle overlords decided that fish was too small and threw it back. http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/225459/oracles_openoffice_move_may_be_too_little_too_late .html

Haha! Looks like they were smart enough to realize that the types of people that use open source products are not the types of people that take kindly to evil big profit-at-all-costs-even-though-our-product-sucks corporations. Good on them for that at least...

Art Mulder
04-26-2011, 1:17 PM
Try Open Office.

+1

go get Open Office or whatever....

+1

I've been using OpenOffice for years, on Mac and PC and Linux.
I do admit I almost never touch Powerpoint (or Open Office Impress).

However for my word processing and spreadsheet needs it does just fine. Only rarely have I had an Excel spreadsheet sent to me that did not work 100% with OpenOffice. That was typically some esoteric enormous database-linked monstrosity from the Universities HR or Pension department.

I write documents in openoffice all the time, export them in MS-Word format, and send them to other people, and have NEVER had a document that they couldn't read. In fact, I don't think they even realize that I don't have MS-Word installed.

Jeremy Milam
04-26-2011, 1:41 PM
We bought Office Professional Academic 2010 from Academic Superstore and installed in on both our desktop and laptop. I seem to remember we could put it on two or three computers. Anyway, it's on both desktop and laptop and works well and at the same time.