PDA

View Full Version : Shelton #14

Matthew Franck
02-02-2005, 4:19 PM
I'm new to this hobby and i would like to learn how the old timers did it before all this fancy machinery came about. So anyhow I found a Shelton # 14 plane at the local junk barn I'm wondering if it is worth messing with lots of rust looks intact Thanks

Marc Hills
02-02-2005, 5:07 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Matthew!

I tend to be more encouraging than most about straying off the beaten tool brand path (e.g. Stanley, Sargent, Miller Falls). But from what I've seen of Shelton planes, my recommendation is to stay away. I think they are several rungs quality-wise below even a Fulton, Dunlap or even (gasp!) Stanley Handyman. You can do a lot better.

John Dingman
02-02-2005, 7:21 PM
I'm new to this hobby and i would like to learn how the old timers did it before all this fancy machinery came about. So anyhow I found a Shelton # 14 plane at the local junk barn I'm wondering if it is worth messing with lots of rust looks intact ThanksMatt, I have a Shelton and a bunch of Stanleys and the Shelton isn't in the same league. You can get it tuned and making some decent shavings, but being new to this, you might get discouraged real quick as the Shelton is very tough to get fettled.

Do you have any pics of the plane?

John