PDA

View Full Version : Am I Having Fun Yet?

Dick Wilson
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
In my quest to follow in the foot steps of my mentor John Keeton several weeks ago I spent three days cleaning and organizing my shop, as you might remember. I have 3 huge plastic barrels I use for cut offs/scrap etc. I had a number of turnings on my bench that have been there for up to 3 years. I threw them on the bench because they went south on me with checks, screw ups, or I was unable to force the turning into something it didn't want to go to.:(:(:(. In the process of cleaning I made a command decision and into the burn barrels they went. A friend takes the wood for campfires, etc. He came over and started dumping the barrels into his pick-up. In a moment of insanity I retrieved some of the aforementioned "turnings" - rescuing them so to speak.:confused::confused:

I took them back downstairs to my shop and put them on my primary bench. Something happened!!!! So far I have able to see 4 of them in a different light and have had "DESIGN IDEAS". I am in the process of finishing them. As I finish them I will be posting here and WOW calling them my "Burn Barrel Resurrection Series".

Thinking back since I became a "serious" turner how many turnings did I throw away and how much time did I put into them and if I had them now what could I come up with? At the time my skills and artistic thinking wasn't there. Boy would I like to have them back.

So this is something for all you beginner and intermediate turners to think about. In 2-3-4 years maybe you will come up with a design opportunity for some of them.

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 1:11 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with... Before and after photos will be enlightening.

I've found that I make something, beam with pride, put it on display, and then throw it in the trash a few months later... Maybe I need to repurpose/redesign some of them rather than chucking them.

Jim Burr
04-25-2011, 1:29 PM
I find just the opposite...I'll make something that is utter crap, but some well meaning socialite thinks it's art and snaps it up. I can't bring myself to throw away anything unless it breaks, or explodes...they just get a home in the office...getting crowded in there:eek::p
Let's see some pic's Dick...maybe we can offer an idea or two to help out!

John Hart
04-25-2011, 1:32 PM
This is so true. I rarely threw anything away. And back when I was starting, my wall thicknesses were thick enough that I can take them now, give them more character, and even fix a warp, that I lacked the skill earlier to accomplish.

So yeah.....Keep everything!!:)

Dick Wilson
04-25-2011, 1:55 PM
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with... Before and after photos will be enlightening.

I've found that I make something, beam with pride, put it on display, and then throw it in the trash a few months later... Maybe I need to repurpose/redesign some of them rather than chucking them.

David, Think about all the time you are throwing in the trash along with the turning. A friend did the same thing. I'll bet he threw away more than 50-60 turnings that didn't sell in his booth.:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:. I've seen his work. Many of them were thick walled with bad bases/bottoms that could have easily been returned ergo more marketable.

Dick Wilson
04-25-2011, 1:57 PM
This is so true. I rarely threw anything away. And back when I was starting, my wall thicknesses were thick enough that I can take them now, give them more character, and even fix a warp, that I lacked the skill earlier to accomplish.

So yeah.....Keep everything!!:)

And you can double the price:D:D:D:D:D

Dick Wilson
04-25-2011, 2:18 PM
I find just the opposite...I'll make something that is utter crap, but some well meaning socialite thinks it's art and snaps it up. I can't bring myself to throw away anything unless it breaks, or explodes...they just get a home in the office...getting crowded in there:eek::p
Let's see some pic's Dick...maybe we can offer an idea or two to help out!

Jim, Here is a beauty:D:D It has been so long ago that I can't say 100% but I think it is Flowering Pear. Maybe two 2 years ago. Green when turned with a stem and base. Came back next morning and HELLO!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I know what I am going to do.....thin wall and way out of round so it may end back in the burn barrel:rolleyes::rolleyes:192761

Jim Burr
04-25-2011, 2:22 PM
That looks like a great candidate for a fill of turquoise or crushed coral...maybe just espresso powder, but it sure would look nice!

John Keeton
04-25-2011, 4:09 PM
Dick, I swelled with pride when I read that I was a good influence on you:) - until I got to the point where you started digging thru the barrell again!!:eek: I obviously have not fully converted you yet!;)

I have 5-6 forms that I started on and they have cracks or other blemishes that prevented me from going further with them - none of them are hollowed. I have saved them with the thought that one of my kids or grandkids, or perhaps just a new turner, might want them for practice. But, I have no intention of revisiting any of them. Other than those few, I have finished every turning that I started - most of the first turnings were given away.

It just aint' in me to look back!! Too much pretty wood out there, and too many ideas floating around.

Dick Wilson
04-25-2011, 4:45 PM
Dick, I swelled with pride when I read that I was a good influence on you:) - until I got to the point where you started digging thru the barrell again!!:eek: I obviously have not fully converted you yet!;)

I have 5-6 forms that I started on and they have cracks or other blemishes that prevented me from going further with them - none of them are hollowed. I have saved them with the thought that one of my kids or grandkids, or perhaps just a new turner, might want them for practice. But, I have no intention of revisiting any of them. Other than those few, I have finished every turning that I started - most of the first turnings were given away.

It just aint' in me to look back!! Too much pretty wood out there, and too many ideas floating around.

John, I'm saying nothing about all the other stuff I have reverted back to. I know it would put you in a very serious funk.;);) I am not a wood miser or anything. I guess I look at it as a challenge to push my creative side. Solutions often lead to new design aspects that can be used in the future.

Cathy Schaewe
04-25-2011, 8:59 PM
I have a shelf in my wood room that's devoted to pieces I'm not happy with, or partly finished and got disgusted. I've come back to a couple of them and been happy with the outcome - it's awfully hard sometimes to throw things away. Other times, though ...

Steve Schlumpf
04-25-2011, 9:28 PM
Interesting timing... I just hauled 15 roughed out hollow forms out to my woodpile - tired of looking at them! All were warped/cracked (not checked... major cracks!) and had been taking up shelf space since 2008. Enough! Now that I have some space again, I can start looking for some green wood and start the process all over again!

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 9:36 PM
Dick, I swelled with pride when I read that I was a good influence on you:) - until I got to the point where you started digging thru the barrell again!!:eek: I obviously have not fully converted you yet!;)...

I agree with you, John... The thought of Dick 'dumpster diving' into the bed of his friends truck screaming hysterically about his 'babies that had to be saved' is enough to give any 'wood hoarder' pause. When Dick mentioned the term 'wood mizer', I must admit that I immediately thought of your barn... I wonder if that's where your 'dirty' little secrets are kept. Perhaps the shop is clean, but the wood in the barn is not exactly in alphabetical order!:eek::D

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2011, 9:41 PM
Dick I have to agree. If it is not cracked or broken I generally set them aside for a later date. I just took a bunch that were cracked beyond repair to the wood pile like Steve. Amazing how much room it creates.