PDA

View Full Version : What are these clamps used for?

Kent A Bathurst
04-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Quite a while ago, SWMBO walks in with these in her hands.

"Here you go - these are for you. I found them at an antique store."
"Umm.. gee....thanks. What are they used for?"
"I dunno - I don't see how that's my problem."
"Umm...OK...and I need them why?"
"I don't know why you need most of the stuff in this shop, but you've told me many times 'no man ever had too many clamps'. Now, you've got some more clamps."

So - Here they are.
15 large and 9 small, on a ring like huge keys. The larger ones are 11" OA length, and the smaller ones are 10" OA length. Photos of the heads shown. Kinda cool - small wood keys to lock the moveable jaw in place. One odd thing - the smaller ones all have the keys installed upside down from the larger ones - so they could not close completely - and most of them have small felt pads on the tips.

You are not going to exert very much pressure with them - more like hold things together.

Whatcha think?

EDIT - She just walked by - and told me ["reminded" me in her words] that these are Swedishs in origin, according to the guy she bought them from.

Bill White
04-25-2011, 10:27 AM
I have some (2) left over from my guitar building days. They are just light duty cam clamps. I used them to clamp bridges on classic guitars. Worked through the sound hole. Luthiers use/used 'em all the time, and you can still buy new ones.
Bill

Kent A Bathurst
04-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Now - THAT makes perfect sense, Bill. That explains the hollowed-out part of the jaws - you only want to hit the target points, not the entire face.