PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
04-25-2011, 8:15 AM
25 Apr 2011

Good Morning Everyone,
Well, today is more rain, storms, and projected to be more tornado weather. I can honestly say that I'm really tired of the rain and tornado weather.!

There was no woodworking done this past weekend as it as Easter weekend and my weekend was booked with bass guitar sessions for Saturday and Sunday. Spent Sunday afternoon helping the LOML get Easter dinner done, enjoyed family time over dinner and we all retired a bit earlier than normal last night because we were all so exhausted from the days full and long activities.

I hope each of you had a nice weekend and enjoyed in the festivities of the weekend if you were so inclined.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past Easter weekend?

Best of SAFE and productive weeks to you all.

Art Mulder
04-25-2011, 9:17 AM
Like you, the weekend was mostly booked with Easter stuff... Had a great service yesterday and then gathered with a huge group at a friends house for Easter dinner and a lovely afternoon that became sunny and warm.

Also ripped apart the front garden to make it bigger, as my wife wanted some new bushes. Elderberry jam, anyone?

But I did manage to get into the shop for a quick+fun short project... (http://wordsnwood.com/2011/monitor-stand/) I built a monitor stand for my Wife's computer. Dressed up some maple with a strip of redheart to make something that was a bit more than just boring and ordinary.
http://wordsnwood.com/2011/monitor-stand/stand2-sm.jpg

Shawn Pixley
04-25-2011, 9:36 AM
Traveled for work again Saturday and Sunday. I did take Friday off (First day off in four weeks) and bought some wood for a wedding gift I need to make by May 28th. Pretty unexciting...

Wayne Hendrix
04-25-2011, 9:46 AM
I actually did some woodworking this weekend, its been awhile. I finally checked the table for square and drilled something with my new Delta 18-900L, I built a new jig for squaring pen blanks on the disc sander and got a couple pens done as well.

David Hostetler
04-25-2011, 10:03 AM
My weekend did NOT go as planned... But it wasn't horrible...

I got home Friday night, and finally got sick and tired of looking at the buckling siding on my garage. I have had the material pre measured and cut ahead of time so off the old stuff came Friday evening, until I ran out of light, and hours where I can make noise without getting arrested...

Saturday morning saw a return to the grind of yanking off the old siding, and then firing up the compressor and staring on installing the Hardie siding and trim. I had one MAJOR screw up when I managed to drop a 1x6 pre cut hardi trim piece on its corner. That stuff likes to shatter when you drop it on its corner... And I didn't have any extra to take up for mistakes... Back to Home Depot it was...

But the clock was telling me it was time to take a shower, and go to my weight watchers meeting with LOML. Down 2.6 lbs since last week! I am happy with that. They changed the plan on us right after Christmas and I actually ended up going the WRONG way with the new plan until I got it figured out. I am now on the right path, regularly losing between 1.5 and 3lbs a week. I know not too fast because that can be bad too... I am aiming for 2lbs / week just to be safe...

Went to Home Depot on the way home, got the Hardi trim, I should have grabbed a case of Alex Plus while I as there, but that is a different story...

I measured, remeasured, marked, verified, and then cut the new trim piece, and made a HUGE mistake... I forgot to wear my respirator... I have so far done this twice, and the result has been the same, the next day I get a miserable headache, and pretty much am laid up... Note to anyone working with Hardie or similar siding, USE A RESPIRATOR!

Anyway so all that got finished, I still need to put the moldings on, another trip to a different Home Depot or Lowes, the HD closest to me didn't have my trim...

Anyway, so I got the siding and the 1x6 trim on, went to look in my tote of painting supplies, and realized that the case of caulk I intended to use, I already used... I need to inventory my shop more often! So I went ahead and cut the holes for the A/C ducts, and installed said ducts instead. Nice snug fit, not too much slop, and I was able to manage to even get the drywall around it intact. I now need to insulate the wall cavity (should have done that with the siding off, but I want to use loose fill) and then seal the holes / gaps, including expanding foam where needed. The A/C connector pieces were attached to the 5" ducts, and the system tested... Even without the door seals, I managed to drop the shop temp 10 degrees F in 30 minutes of testing. I am happy so far, and about to be happier...

I also took some of the domestic heat off of LOML this weekend by taking care of cooking duties. I had the smoker going in the driveway while I was working on the siding... So we had cajun injected smoked turkey, hamburgers (turkey and 90% fat free beef mixture) and hot dogs over the weekend...

Like I mentioned, something about cement fiber dust causes a nasty allergic reaction with me that gives me a vicious pounding headache the following day... That wiped out our Easter plans... But I can say I did no work on Sunday... So I am partially good.... And we got to catch our pastor via the church's webcast...

Because of the health issues we have dealt with due to my BIL since his transplant, he have been out of services more or less since Christmas, we were going to start going back this weekend. I fear folks will think we are new visitors now... Ugh...

I have to run by the big box stores on my way home tonight and grab that caulk, with out painfully long drought I doubt I will see rain soon, but you never know, so I want to get it sealed up NOW... Not to mention I want to discourage any critters from crawling in the gaps...

Jim Rimmer
04-25-2011, 11:25 AM
I painted another bedroom, walls and ceiling, per LOML's request. We have been in the house 8 years now and i only have one bedroom to go and I will have repainted the entire interior (4 bedrooms, formal living & dining, office, loft and great room.) I have also removed the wallpaper and textured the kitchen in addition to painting the cabinets in kitchen and master bath. Also mowed, trimmed the hedges, and got a little time in the shop squaring up some stock for a prototype of my next project.

Spent a wonderful Easter Sunday celebrating the resurrection of our Lord and Savior. Great morning service, lunch with friends (steak and shrimp from the grill) and then a fantastic evening service.

John TenEyck
04-25-2011, 1:21 PM
I'm bushed. I put a trailer hitch and wiring harness on my new car Friday so that I could rent a trailer and bring home wood from trees an arborist friend was cutting down for another friend. Normally I get help loading the wood on the trailer, but not this time since two of his helpers decided not to show up. So I carried, loaded, drove home, and unloaded about 4 cords of wood on Saturday, and one more yesterday to finish the job. All green ash and chinese elm. Heavy, heavy, stuff. But I've gotten nearly 10 cords of wood in the past two weekends, so I'm set for next year's heating season - after I cut it up, split it, stack it ..... I need a nap.

Mark ten Haaf
04-25-2011, 1:35 PM
Friday Night:
Went to Good Friday Service.
Spent some time with wife, daughter, new baby boy.
Studied for exams.
Relaxed a bit.

Saturday:
Went to shop, completed finish rub on kitchen bench and cutting board, customer picked them up.
Painted Poplar project for LOML.
Went home, moved everything from upstairs into the main floor dining room.
Tore out all carpet upstairs.
Tore out 1/2 of padding upstairs.
Thought about studying more...it can wait.
Went shopping with wife for baby clothes.
Spent quality time with family.

Sunday:
Celebrated the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Church in morning & afternoon w/nap in between)
Spent time with wife's family for mother-in-law's birthday.

Monday: Back at it!!

Have a great week everyone!!

BOB OLINGER
04-25-2011, 5:11 PM
We started the weekend with Easter service Friday night. Then, on Sat., resumed work on remodeling first of 3 bathrooms. On Saturday, we hung more wall tile around the bathtub. On Sunday, installed some Hardi Backer concrete board underlayment on the floor for floor tile preparation. Then, finished (except for 3 tile around the soap shelf) the wall tile around the bathtub. I should report the Kolbat tile saw I purchased from Lowes for these projects turned out to work great. I hope the blade lasts through 3 bathrooms. Goal is to finish the first bathroom this coming weekend.