PDA

View Full Version : Cryptex Box Plans

Tim Thiebaut
04-25-2011, 7:12 AM
After someone posted the Cryptex box they made a week or so ago I have been looking for plans on how to make one myself. I found the plans on line at Front Range Wood turners, the file is in PDF format and reprinted with the permission of the American Woodturner mag, and made avalible to everyone. So I thought that others here may be as interested in this as I am, so here is a link to the free plans....Tim

It is the first one in the list...

How to Make a Cryptex Box:

http://www.frontrangewoodturners.org/howto/index.html

Tom Wilson66
04-25-2011, 9:52 PM
Thanks for the link, I am going to make some for my grandkids for next Christmas. These plans will help a lot. Also liked the ariticle on reversing the Jet Mini. That is going to come in handy also!

Tim Thiebaut
04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
Hope it helps you Tom, I have read the article on reverseing the Jet but have not done it to mine. Although I have done a fair amount of electrical work in my day that was a while ago and I am pretty rusty so have not wanted to try and then possibly end up smoking something on my lathe.

BILL DONAHUE
04-26-2011, 8:53 PM
Tim, I'm the guy who had the previous post about the cryptex and this is the article I used to make mine. I did find an error in one of the measurements that I think was in an illustration. I'll try to review the article and let you know where it is. You'll really enjoy making it as well as the interest of those who see it. The measurments have to be pretty precise. Since that post, the cryptex won 2nd place out of about 70 entries in an art show with the theme of puzzles,

Tim Thiebaut
04-27-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks Bill, yea if you run across that error please let me know, I need to run to the store one day this week and grab some wood for this, I dont have enough to turn the pieces out of. Looking forward to giving it a shot though!

Dale Coons
04-27-2011, 9:12 AM
Used this same article to build one--didn't have a problem with the measurements, but did use small doweling instead of nails for the pins ( 1/8 ). Worked well.