PDA

View Full Version : High School Senior in the wood shop.

Jeff Fagen
04-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Well my son wanted to make drum sticks so we did the best we could with a hollow form steady rest.(we need a spindle steady).
These were made of hard maple for practice but we have some hickory for the next ones.
They look pretty good for the firsts but you get a lot of chatter.
He burnished then with a deer antler and after trying them out he was satisfied with the results.His technique,tool choice and lathe set up is coming along.Turning with the boy"Priceless"!:D

John Keeton
04-25-2011, 6:38 AM
Jeff, nice looking woodturner there, and looks like he did a great job on the drumsticks. I would suggest he start with some split or riven wood so that the grain is dead straight. Also, on the steady - if you flip the two unused arms around, I bet they will work fine on that spindle.

Roger Chandler
04-25-2011, 6:43 AM
Nice gloat Jeff! It is great when your son or grandson get into the shop with you. both my 2 sons have no interest in woodworking, so I do it alone, but they are both grown men in their 30's.

Greg Just
04-25-2011, 7:06 AM
Nice job Jeff. Hopefully his interest will grow with him being able to use what he is turning. My son, 13, is a little interested and has submitted items to the State Fair. I'm hoping to take him to the AAW Symposium for the Youth Program. Now if I could only get him to finish his homework!

Keith E Byrd
04-25-2011, 7:17 AM
You are right - woodworking with your son is great and Priceless! Congrats! And the drumsticks look nice too!

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2011, 9:07 AM
Tell him great job on the sticks. Absolutely priceless spending time with your son. Doesn't get any better than that.

Jeff Nicol
04-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Jeff, Looks like he had fun and the drumsticks look like they will work jus fine. If you are going to make more small spindles you can get anothe set of wheels and turn them down to a smaller dia. and use them when needed, also if you use the 2 bottom arms and the 2 o'clock arm with one arm turned inside the ring you will be able to get good support.

See you sometime soon,

Jeff

Julian Tracy
04-25-2011, 11:51 AM
That's one big steady rest!

JT

Jeff Fagen
04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys for pointing out the obvious,I wasn't thinking,that will work.That Big A steady rest is a J N copy and it works great!
I have a vase in it right now and it runs smooth.

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Good looking young man, and the sticks look good as well. Nicely done!