PDA

View Full Version : Some new toys/tools installed

Alan Zenreich
04-24-2011, 10:37 PM
It's been a busy week tweaking the shop to accomodate some new toys. All were acquired from fellow turners through this or other woodturning forums. Almost every new tool involves moving something else, and/or extending wiring, or dust collection.

Here's this week's additions.

1. A Carter Electronic Tension Gauge (ETG) now installed on my Delta bandsaw. The rear of the saw is tough to see because of my shop's limited floorspace and low ceiling height. This gauge will let me better keep an eye on the tension, its readout is now placed up front and personal. No photo for today, but it's coming.

2. A Nicols steady rest. This was originally designed for use on a Delta 46-460 (12.5"), so it directly fits my bride's lathe. I created a riser block and bed clamps and it looks like it will work very well on my Nova DVR XP (16").

3. A Woodcut Bowlsaver. I have a lot of mulberry and other green wood cut and ready for turning. It would be a shame to put so much of it on the floor during bowlmaking, so I was looking at coring systems, and this should be a good introduction into coring.

4. A Jet 1014vsi lathe. Someone made me an offer I shouldn't refuse, so I had to juggle other equipment around the shop to make room for this little variable speed lathe. I'll use it mostly for drilling and perhaps buffing.

Can you have too many lathes? I guess that depends on the space available. For me, it's a tight squeeze, but the current flock is Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi, and a MicroMark 7x14 metal lathe. Maybe I can start breeding them.

Dan Forman
04-25-2011, 3:11 AM
Cool stuff. I wish I had room for a midi and a metal lathe too.

Dan

Bill Bolen
04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
No stealth to this gloat! Congrats on all the new tooling Alan. I've been looking at the woodcut bowlsaver. Let us know what your thoughts are after coring a few...Bill...

bob svoboda
04-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Lookin' good!

Brian Effinger
04-25-2011, 9:47 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

Isn't the official, unwritten, unofficial rule, only one gloat per thread. ;) :D