PDA

View Full Version : Park Bench Plaque

Pat Shirkey
04-24-2011, 7:45 PM
Hi everyone and Happy Easter

I have a chance to do some park bench memorial plaques. My question is what kind of material is the best for this application - plastic, corian, painted brass plates or ? They are going to be attached to wood and fiberglass benches. Thank you for any input.

Bruce Volden
04-24-2011, 8:19 PM
Pat,

2 years ago I did the same thing with plaques. Mine were small (3" X 5" custom shape and various logos for the business' sponsoring them). I used IPI Laserables in a brushed aluminum over black. They have held up like I did them yesterday even through 2 South Dakota winters. I guess I will be using this again! NOTHING will hold up to vandalism and I stated that up front.

Bruce

Pat Shirkey
04-24-2011, 9:00 PM
Thank you very much Bruce,
I was thinking along those lines, that way I can make the size they want. If I get the job, I will post pictures. Thanks again.

Tim Baude
04-24-2011, 9:22 PM
I also did some like this about 3 years ago in Maine. Used Gold over black Romark. They look like the day they were put on. Plastic should work and as you said, you can do custom sizes.
Tim

john passek
04-25-2011, 11:24 AM
I generaly lean to using gold reverse engraved painted black, looks like it has glass over the text.Can use any available color substrate and paint color to suit.
my 2c

Pat Shirkey
04-25-2011, 9:31 PM
Thank you for all the imput. That is really what is so great about this forum over others. Everyone is so willing to help. Thanks again

Bill Cunningham
04-26-2011, 9:44 PM
I use 16 ga. stainless for outdoor and public park type benches. After they are marked, I drill a 3/16 - 1/4" mounting 'bolt' hole in each corner, then instruct the buyer to put a layer of silicone Adh. all over the back, then bolt it to the bench, (using SS or brass bolts and nuts) and use a ballpeen hammer to bang over the threads on the other side of the nuts. Unless you do this, it will be ripped off the bench, and stolen by vandals 100% guaranteed.

Pat Shirkey
04-27-2011, 8:30 AM
Thanks Bill,
That looks really sharp. It also gives me another option. Thanks again

Josh Richard
04-27-2011, 8:42 AM
I and use a ballpeen hammer to bang over the threads on the other side of the nuts. Unless you do this, it will be ripped off the bench, and stolen by vandals 100% guaranteed.

I like that idea, I have done similar, but with wood screws. After mounting the sign, I drilled out the head making it impossible to unscrew the screw

Jim Good
04-27-2011, 9:28 AM
It looks like Horizons has come up with a CO2 laserable material for outdoor applications. I got an email from them yesterday. Here is a link to their spec for this material. I requested a sample to play with. Maybe this is a good alternative. http://www.horizonsisg.com/durablack.html

Jim