PDA

View Full Version : Recent Creeker Visit

Donny Lawson
04-24-2011, 7:02 PM
I got a call yesterday from a good friend and (Creeker)Brian Watts about some Walnut. I said I could use some and he loaded up a truck full and headed my way. It was some nice walnut too. Me and my daughter spent the morning cutting and sealing it. There is alot of good bowl blanks in this stuff. I spent this afternoon roughing out a crotch piece. It turned out well but I was wondering "How could I fix this big void in the side?Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Brian for all the walnut. I have it all cut up and sealed and placed throughout the shop. This is the main stack.

Chip Sutherland
04-24-2011, 7:21 PM
Dang, that's a big void. That's something I think you just leave alone and call it a design feature. Soften the edges and you'll probably need to hand sand the backside to make it more pleasing to the touch. I hope you have a donut chuck to finish turn that tenon. If not, I've hand finished a couple myself. Make sure you think up a good story to go along with it.

On the extreme, my first thought (I'm a first impression type person) was to reinforce the sides at the rim with piece of maleable metal (brass or copper) to bridge the gap. Then, fill the void with a dream-catcher. However, I do not possess the ability to do one today but faced with this challenge would have me searching on the internet. But I've seen the gourding community do them.

But don't listen to me....I haven't had my meds today and I've been sniffing curly maple.

Lee Koepke
04-24-2011, 7:25 PM
nice haul. I'd leave the void, that piece is full of interest.

also noticed your wire shelving pieces, i have several that could be put to a similar use, learn a new trick every day!

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 7:50 PM
Nice haul, Donny! The only 'fix' I can think of would be to create some kind of mold and fill the void with acrylic casting material... Alan Trout is the resident expert on large scale casting, so maybe he'll chime in. I kind of like it with the void, but it'll hold less soup that way.

John Keeton
04-24-2011, 7:56 PM
Donny, Brian did right by that visit!! Great batch of walnut. I am wondering what that rough out will look like after it is dry. I suspect it will move a lot, and that may effect how well you can deal with the void. I would be tempted to get the piece pretty thin, and then torch or dye black the edge of the void for additional interest.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2011, 8:12 PM
Donny - congrats on all the walnut! Looks like quite the haul! I agree with John - the piece needs to dry first and get all the warping, etc out of the way before you know what your options are.

Dan Forman
04-25-2011, 3:41 AM
That's a fine stash of walnut, Brian must be a good friend indeed. Can't help on the void.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2011, 9:15 AM
That is a nice bunch of walnut. I agree with leaving the void alone. Looks nice as is.

bob svoboda
04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Great haul..Congrat's. I agree, leave the void.

brian watts
04-26-2011, 7:19 PM
glad you cut it up buddy. donny the two log i what was the size of them ? i never check the logs.. hope this weekend i can load you up again on some walnut..

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2011, 7:40 PM
Donny, Walnut is a wonderful wood and we all would love to have a bunch like that, great haul! The bowl is cool and is the type of thing I love to turn, lots of air and wild stuff, I too would leave it the way it is and like John and Steve said once it drys things will change and then go from there. It it becomes way out of round hand finishing like some carving, or pyro work to enhance things, but mother nature made it that way and you just let it out for all to see! I have sold more pieces with voids and character than without, so it must work, I just sold one of the burly, voided vases I posted last year for $250.00 so I still have some followers! Here is the one that sold: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?140737-Nice-Hard-Maple-burl-W-Black-walnut-vase&highlight=

Jeff