PDA

View Full Version : Winged NE Snack Bowl

Lee Koepke
04-24-2011, 6:43 PM
Outside the box for me. Piece of that maple I recently acquired, its a cutoff from one of the blanks, too pretty to toss. Its my first attempt at a 'winged' type bowl. Its 11" wide at the widest points, the bowl is about 3" wide and 1.5" or so deep. I turned it on my little Rikon, so it was .... ummm ... wobbly!

Critiques welcome. :D

Roger Chandler
04-24-2011, 6:50 PM
That one probably had a whoosh, whoosh, whoosh, whoosh sound as it turned! :eek: pretty wood!

Chip Sutherland
04-24-2011, 6:59 PM
Cool piece of wood. Putting the bowl where the 2 shades of wood bisected it was a nice design touch plus leaving a wide rim. Put some felt feet on the bowl and fill it up.

I did one like this in some bald cypress but maximized the bowl space to fill the piece. It was a mistake. A smaller bowl would have been better so I recip-carved the face to simulate the chainsaw marks on the end cuts. I thought I 'saved' the piece...then I funneled it when I was finish turning the bottom :eek::mad:. Wish I had just put the felt feet on the bottom. Alas, it's in my fix box for another day.

PS...doing this on a Rikon gets you a pucker factor honorable mention.

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 7:43 PM
That's a really cool looking piece, and a heck of an accomplishment if your little Rikon is the same as mine... I'd have to saddle up my little green machine and ride it the whole way if I tried to do something like this on it.

Also, your cutoff bin is apparently awesome!

Donny Lawson
04-24-2011, 8:25 PM
Lee, that's a nice chunk of wood. I bet it did rock the lathe a little.

Dan Forman
04-25-2011, 3:36 AM
A very unique piece, the wood is outstanding, placement of the bowl adds interest, very good!

Dan

John Keeton
04-25-2011, 6:15 AM
Lee, I am duly impressed!! First of all - nice work on the design and execution. But, to do this on the Rikon is an accomplishment!

John Hart
04-25-2011, 6:23 AM
These type pieces look really good on an end table with a lamp. Well done Lee. Alot going on in it. :)

Michelle Rich
04-25-2011, 7:52 AM
I am impressed with your ability to turn that on your Rikon! Musta been exciting!Appealing piece! I think you got the bowl perfectly placed. Throw caution to the wind, and let's see more!

bob svoboda
04-25-2011, 9:05 AM
Very cool. Bet it sounded like a Blackhawk.

Bernie Weishapl
04-25-2011, 9:17 AM
That is a really nice looking piece Lee. I have the Rikon and am not sure I would have tried something like that.