PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry Box Lid--Raised panel Krenovian style.

Tony Shea
04-24-2011, 5:50 PM
I am in the proccess of helping my girlfriend make her first WW project which happens to be inspired by James Krenov's jewelry box. She cut some incredible first time dovetails btw. My question is about the lid. We are going for the raised panel lid that is typical of all Krenov raised panels in that it basically is just a rabbeted edge that fits into the groove of the frame. I can't decide on the dimensions of the groove and rabbet for the panel to fit into the frame. The frame is 1/2" stock. A 1/4" seems far too big as this leaves only an 1/8" on either side of the groove. Therefore am thinking it needs to be 1/8" thick groove that the panel rabbet will fit into. Is this too small of an edge to put on the panel? Am I over thinking this? I'm just so used to making 1/4" grooves that the small dimensions of this box has me questioning myself.

Tony Shea
04-27-2011, 8:09 PM
No opinions yet?

Ted Wong
04-27-2011, 9:41 PM
if it is 1/2" thick frame 1/4" for the panel would be fine. The groove on the frame should be slightly lower than 1/8" from the top surface of the frame so the panel will sit ever so slightly below the frame surface.
Depending on the size of the box (cigar box - shoe box size) I often make panels anywhere from 5/16" - 3/8" thick and find 1/4" too thin for my preferences.

George Beck
04-28-2011, 8:18 AM
I usually make the panels about 5/16". I also like to let the panel sit slightly(maybe 1/64") above the frame.