PDA

View Full Version : Sycamore Lidded Vessel

John Hart
04-24-2011, 4:55 PM
Ok...this started out to be just a pedestal vase, but once I got it done, It just seemed too plain. So I gave it a little hat....along with a Keith Burns exclamation point. It stands about 13" tall and 2.5" at the widest. The hat and the stem are Brazilian Cherry...body, American Sycamore, and the explanation point is ebony. Finished in AO.

Comments, Critiques, and Wood Stove recommendations readily encouraged :)

Roger Chandler
04-24-2011, 5:11 PM
Hey professor Hart...........this one is really nice! I love the shape on the body, and the pedestal is well done. That being said, I think it looks just a bit heavy on the bottom part before you get down to the base. I think that is because I am used to seeing a rounded area transitioning to the base and not a lip like you have there.

With that exception [and that is my taste more than anything] this is a great piece. It has some wow factor to it, because of the wood contrast, the form shape especially, and the finial is real nice..........just tall enough for this form. Boy, I like that form on the body............a lot!

Bill Wyko
04-24-2011, 5:18 PM
John, I've always enjoyed your pieces. This is no exception. I really like the finial. The angle on the top is a wonderful touch. The fact that you used the flaired out top and added the lid isn't something I've seen before but it really works very nice on this piece. Thanks for sharing.

John Keeton
04-24-2011, 5:29 PM
When I look at this piece, there are elements that seem to break the rules (pedestal and form nearly equal in height, finial small in proportion to the pedestal) but it is strangely attractive as it is! I like the wood combination, and it is well executed. While I see what Roger is saying, for me it needs some mass on the bottom to counterbalance the form, and the profile seems to add that.

I would say it works!

Kurt Barker
04-24-2011, 5:35 PM
I think it's beautiful. I really like the combination of woods you chose, the form, and the proportions. And if you hadn't told me otherwise, I would have thought the top was an exclamation point! (btw: what is an explanation point?)

Happy Easter!

Brian Libby
04-24-2011, 5:41 PM
I really like this piece. The hat and finial, IMHO, makes it work!
Certainly this is not wood stove material!! ( that is unless you send it to me so I can dispose of it!) :-)

Jim Burr
04-24-2011, 5:47 PM
This is my favorite or your multi-species work John!! I'd like a taller, but same proportion finial..but since I've made two...yours works!!

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2011, 5:48 PM
John I don't know what it is but it works. The short finial and long base just work for me. Well done John.

Richard Madden
04-24-2011, 7:14 PM
Rules were meant to be broken...I like it.

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 7:31 PM
Very cool, John! The body and pedestal flow gracefully together, and I like the sycamore/cherry combo. I'm not sure about the knob/finial... I'm not sure if it's the black or the explanation point(whatever that is!)... For some reason, I kind of want to see a pineapple knob on top! Maybe I'm just hungry. Maybe my head is swirling with alternative finial ideas. Perhaps finial-ity is the current direction of my muse. Maybe my muse has had a head injury(perhaps she was struck with pineapple). I've got lots to ponder...

philip labre
04-24-2011, 7:32 PM
Great piece, John! Every thing seems to work well together for my eye, but I have an eye like a dead perch.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2011, 8:15 PM
Wow - you've really been kicking the turnings out lately! I like everything about this one - up to the finial. Nice form - just seems to short for the piece! Oh well, just an opinion. What's next?

John Hart
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks much everyone. I agree...the explanation point (oops) does seem a tad small...and even Keith Burns said it shoulda been taller. I might change it....but then...like JK said, it sorta has some strange appeal as is. Dunno what I'll do just yet. Maybe I'll just hit it with a pineapple!! :)

Up next Steve? Pure Egyptian.

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Wood stove??? No way! I think it's cool -

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Up next Steve? Pure Egyptian.

Are we talking - old, dusty and wrapped in gauze? Cool!

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Are we talking - old, dusty and wrapped in gauze? Cool!

Staggering around with arms straight out, drooling...
no wait, that's the egyptian on lacquer. Never mind.

Curt Fuller
04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Awfully pretty John. I love the combination of the colors in the sycamore and the brazilian cherry. The finial seems short as a finial but if you look at it as a knob then it seems to be alright. I like that flair at bottom of the pedestal.

John Hart
04-25-2011, 6:18 AM
Staggering around with arms straight out, drooling...
no wait, that's the egyptian on lacquer. Never mind.

I met that guy!! He hangs out in the shop. I ask him for critiques and he just says, "uuuuuuh uuuuuh UUUUUUUHHHH!!!"

I'm thinking he's a dirty old pineapple muse. But that would make him a she. hmmmm:rolleyes:

Roland Martin
04-25-2011, 6:53 AM
John, I'd say you call the finial a knob and everything is perfect, you just named that top thingy wrong. I like everything about this.

Roger Chandler
04-25-2011, 6:54 AM
John, I'd say you call the finial a knob and everything is perfect, you just named that top thingy wrong. I like everything about this.

yeh, it is a Kieth Burns inspired knob!

Michelle Rich
04-25-2011, 7:41 AM
I think the wood stove should go hungry! I would have loved the finial in the cherry..to make this a two color vessel..to my very unartisitc eye, I think the black does not belong. But that is preference, not a critique.

Chip Sutherland
04-25-2011, 10:00 AM
I like it . I like the shape and the flow into the pedestal sort of in a Osolnik style. I think the mix of wood tones was very nice. For the finial to be an exclamation point, it had to be in ebony/ebonized.

Brian Effinger
04-25-2011, 9:43 PM
Fantastic John. I wouldn't change a thing. :)

So, I was just wondering.... How many chickens were sacrificed in the making of this piece? Or was it just lacquer soaked brain cells.

jwjerry w kowalski
04-26-2011, 7:37 PM
John, I really like this, very elegant with sweeping curves and great looking wood. I think maybe I would like the finial a little taller, but I love the shape of it.

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2011, 7:58 PM
John, The first thing that I noticed is the form of the "Jar" it has the look of an urn and the finial works well with the main body and the contrast in the woods is spot on. Like mentioned there is a little bit of extra mass at the bottom of the pedestal, but I am not sure if it really matters, but if the thickness were brought in a bit right where it comes to the bottom that would change how it looks and break it up or to slowly taper it from the base of the vessel to the base of the pedestal keeping it pretty thin for most of the way and flaring out to a bead as the base. Now that I have confused you beyond belief, just leave it the way it is and love it forever!

Too much shellac and DNA in the air today,

Jeff