PDA

View Full Version : fun with a finial(AKA crab claw)

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 2:16 PM
I've had this piece of really spalted(borderline rotten) maple burl for a while, and after reading Wally Dickerman's tip for using white glue to stabilize stuff, I decided to give it a whirl. The wood was far from perfect even after the soak, but the glue really helped me firm things up for decent finish cuts. I finished the main form several weeks ago, but finial inspiration has been lacking.

When Brian Brown posted his curly HF a few days ago, I played with his walnut finial in photoshop and a claw shaped finial emerged. I decided to give it a try with a piece of African blackwood. The finial was turned then rough(very rough) shaped using the bandsaw. A dremel with sanding drum, hand files, and lots of sandpaper where used to fine tune and improve the finish.

The main form is a little over 5" in diameter. I think the finial is a bit small for the form, and I may do another at some point.

Comments, criticism, and suggestions appreciated.

Tim Thiebaut
04-24-2011, 2:41 PM
David that is one of the coolest finials I have seen in a long time. And it looks great on top of that burl to, obviously I am no expert but I dont think it is to small for this piece at all, to my eye it fits perfect.

Jim Burr
04-24-2011, 2:48 PM
Wow!!! Even if it seems short...it doesn't to me, the width makes up for it. Really cool!!

John Hart
04-24-2011, 5:17 PM
Wham! Out of the park! The form is great and the Keller Klaw is a very nice accent.

Ya know...I was going to try one of these, but I had a feeling that you were working on one. You needed to be first for sure. ;)

Well done!! :)

John Keeton
04-24-2011, 5:39 PM
The Keller Klaw! Great name, Hart! David, I really like the concept, and I agree it is perhaps a bit short - not much though. I know it deviates from the "Klaw" thing, but I wonder what it would do if the longer portion were flared out a bit rather than in?

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2011, 5:46 PM
David I really like that finial. Nice design and really stands out well with the form of the HF.

Roger Chandler
04-24-2011, 5:51 PM
I am duly impressed! First of all, you did the "Dickerman Dunk" and you also did the"Keller Klaw" so I stand amazed! :D

Great work on both the form and the finial, David...........:cool:

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2011, 6:34 PM
I like it! Great form, beautiful wood and your original finial is a winner! I can see a lot of possible variations along the same theme! Have fun!

Chip Sutherland
04-24-2011, 6:46 PM
Nice job. Good balance. I really like the 3rd pic with the bark inclusion/flaw showing. I do not think the finial is too small at all.

Jim Adkins
04-24-2011, 7:08 PM
A KELLER KLAW!!!!.....Nice Job, I like the form a lot and the Klaw just sets it off.
Save your thoughts on variations for the future, this one begs to be picked-up.

philip labre
04-24-2011, 7:36 PM
Another dandy, David!!! great form, wood and finish. The finial reminds me of flickering flames. Beautiful.

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 7:39 PM
Thanks, fellas! Hart, you should go ahead a do something like this... I'm pretty sure it's been done before, and it's possible that I subconsciously 'borrowed' it from a photo or something. Nothing new in turning, right? I like JK's idea about flaring the longer limb outward, and I can see Steve's point about endless possible variations on a theme. I'm sure I'll try some of them at some point, but I might choose a different wood for them... That blackwood is hard stuff, and something a little softer would be a heck of a lot easier.

John Hart
04-24-2011, 9:56 PM
Thanks, fellas! Hart, you should go ahead a do something like this... I'm pretty sure it's been done before, and it's possible that I subconsciously 'borrowed' it from a photo or something. Nothing new in turning, right? I like JK's idea about flaring the longer limb outward, and I can see Steve's point about endless possible variations on a theme. I'm sure I'll try some of them at some point, but I might choose a different wood for them... That blackwood is hard stuff, and something a little softer would be a heck of a lot easier.
I think what I'll try is to make an exclamation point and modify it for realsies like you did in Photoshop. But...still...It's a Keller Krab Klaw. I don't care where you dreamed it. :)

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 9:57 PM
Neat and creative!

PM sent ...

Curt Fuller
04-24-2011, 10:46 PM
Killer Keller Klaw! It also looks a little flame like. Whatever it is, it's really different and cool!

Kathy Marshall
04-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Very cool finial and I love the form, but that wood is WOW! Very nice piece!

Bill Wyko
04-25-2011, 1:50 AM
Everything about this piece screams "This is cool" Your choice of wood, the form, the finish and that awesome finial. Great job.

Dan Forman
04-25-2011, 3:04 AM
David---The finial is wonderful, I think the size is just right. I was originally thinking the form is a little too close to spherical, but then to make it squatter would bring it more into SW style, which would conflict with the crab thing, so I guess it's fine as it stands. The wood sure adds interest - a winning combination.

Dan

Michelle Rich
04-25-2011, 7:53 AM
Pure Excellnce in the art of turning. This is delightful. Grand vessel

bob svoboda
04-25-2011, 9:04 AM
Wood, form, finish, finial and creativity. All grade "A".

David DeCristoforo
04-25-2011, 2:33 PM
The crab claw finial lives! Sadly, we cannot christen it the delightful though obvious "Keller Krab Klaw" due to an unfortunate acronymic association. It's very cool nonetheless and might do double duty as a bottle opener or self defense weapon.

John Hart
04-25-2011, 2:42 PM
Aw nuts...I didn't even think of that.

OK...How about David's Delightful Delicacy....naw.

Kellers Finial Claw (too much like chicken)

This is difficult

Tim Rinehart
04-25-2011, 4:10 PM
Nice piece David...I think the claw looks great. It's good to see breakaways from the traditional turned works. I think Mark Hubl does a great job with his carved spiral ropes, and Steve Schlumpf has shown us his wonderful departures...again, breaking away from the norm.
The form itself looks very nicely done, as is the finish.
Yep...it's a keeper!

Dennis Simmons
04-25-2011, 7:08 PM
Wally Dickerman's tip for using white glue to stabilize stuff

Where can I find this article, Your work is super. I like this.

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 7:48 PM
Thanks for the kind words and diligent effort to find a name for this form!

Wally Dickerman's tip for using white glue to stabilize stuff

Where can I find this article...

Not sure where the original source reference is, but it's easy enough... Mix white glue(I used Elmers) and water in a 50/50 ratio and soak your rough turned form in the solution for about 24 hours. Remove and wipe off any excess glue goo. Let the piece rest and let the glue dry(I waited about a week or so I think). Return to the lathe and finish the piece like you would any other roughout. I used a large ziplock freezer bag for my soak, and I returned the excess solution back to the jug of glue. I was able to find gallons of white glue at a local office supply store.

Michael James
04-25-2011, 8:41 PM
Beautiful form...finial sorta looks like a worm on a hook:eek: which is NOT really a bad visual compared to the claw thing....:cool:

Phillip Key
04-25-2011, 8:44 PM
That is awesome. Definitely going in my collection of things to try when I get good enough.

I like the idea of flaring the other point out too, but then it would be more "broiler fork" than "krab klaw"

David E Keller
04-25-2011, 9:40 PM
That is awesome. Definitely going in my collection of things to try when I get good enough.

I like the idea of flaring the other point out too, but then it would be more "broiler fork" than "krab klaw"

Give it a try, Phillip.

The big difference in choosing this design over the broiler fork... I felt this design would be safer to run with.

Brian Effinger
04-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Oooooo... The CLAW!!!

Killer Keller Klaw! It also looks a little flame like. Whatever it is, it's really different and cool!

I had the same thought when I saw it. Give it the right paint job and it would look just like a flame. Hehehe. I just thought of a new show - Pimp my Turning. :D

Lupe Duncan
04-26-2011, 1:34 AM
Very Nice David, I like it.

It looks kinda "wispy"......

Russell Eaton
04-26-2011, 7:05 AM
Another great job. Keep up. The good work.