View Full Version : Aux fence ideas

Mark Baldwin III
04-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I want to use my Marley match plane to do a breadboard end on a table top. However, the plane is meant for wider stock, and the tongue will be off center. Just looking for ideas for a temporary means to shim this thing to cut the narrower stock.
I can use one of my shoulder planes or rebate planes for the task, but I wanted to see about using this one for it first.
I also don't want to make any permanent mods to the plane, as it is in very good condition and I would hate to ruin it.

Jonathan McCullough
04-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Make a batten. Clamp or (better yet) nail it to the underside of the table. When making dadoes in the middle of a book shelf with a plough plane, battens provide a reference for the fence. When you're done, just pull the batten and nails out.

Mark Baldwin III
04-24-2011, 2:21 PM
Thanks, Jonathan! That's exactly the kind of idea that I needed. One step closer to getting my first 100% Neander project done (still about 100 steps to go, though...)

Jim Belair
04-24-2011, 6:24 PM
What about sticking a shim to the fence with good double surface tape or hot glue (hide or glue gun)?

Mark Baldwin III
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
If I could find a thin double sided tape, that would seem like a reasonable solution, too. However, I went back over to Darek's blog this evening and was reading about how he does a breadboard end. It occurred to me that a match plane is much too shallow to make the appropriate cut, so I will probably do it the same way he did (minus the nice router plane). I have a skew shoulder plane and a plow.
In fact, while cutting on a practice piece, I learned that the fence of the LV skew shoulder plane needs to have it's own aux fence installed for this purpose, as the tongue is starting to take shape the fence has very little to register on.

john brenton
04-26-2011, 6:18 PM
The batten is without a doubt the way to go, but you could also cut a piece thin enough to hug up against the fence. Just make it long enough to hold onto with both hands while you hold the plane as well. If your iron is sharp it shouldn't be as awkward as it sounds. I wouldn't recomend it if I hadn't done it myself. Again, that's only if the batten won't work for one reason or another.