PDA

View Full Version : scoliosis

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 10:57 AM
I got a couple of big chunks of cottonwood a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd give it a try. I thought both of the pieces were full of curl, but this portion didn't have any figure to speak of... Nice color but no figure. The wood seemed fairly dry, but after watching it dry, I guess it had more moisture than I first thought. The other piece is really curly, but I'll be waiting on roughouts to dry before showing anything from that chunk.

Here's a little hollow form that I've titled 'scoliosis' for obvious reasons. It's a little over five inches tall with a walnut collar.

Anybody know someone who works in a bell tower that could use a weird little HF?

Comments and criticism appreciated as always.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
A pretty little piece David. If one could only predict and control that movement.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Actually - this looks pretty cool and may end up grabbing more attention because of the unique warp!

bob svoboda
04-24-2011, 11:37 AM
I think it works with that piece. Pretty wood and nice work!

Hayes Rutherford
04-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I am curious how your cottonwood compares to what is common in north Idaho. The foresters call what we have black cottonwood and I haven't had much luck turning it. Usually soft and plain, dulls tools quickly but requires sharp tools to cut decently.
Your piece has a pleasant, soothing look to it and I look forward to seeing the curly stuff as well.

Michelle Rich
04-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I think folks with astigmatism might really like this :-)

Bernie Weishapl
04-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Really a nice piece David. Never know what is inside but I do like the wood.

Tim Thiebaut
04-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Very nice David, that has a very nice color to it. My neighbor was trimming their big cottonwood last week and I managed to grab a few pieces from the biggest limb they cut, gives me something else to try out. The biggest piece is about "6-7 across with the bark on...and the bark is really thick on this, it has to be almost an inch thick. I am hoping to try a natural edge with one piece of it and see what happens, but at least I know what the wood might look like inside.

Dan Forman
04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Listing to starboard! Nice form and color though, looking forward to seeing the curly one.

Dan

Curt Fuller
04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
"What hump?" ;);)

Jim Burr
04-24-2011, 2:29 PM
LOL!!! I'm sending all my scoliosis patients to you now. Stick them on your lathe and straighten 'en right up!!

Wally Dickerman
04-24-2011, 2:49 PM
Big mistake David...you should have left us wondering...how'd he do dat?

Lee Koepke
04-24-2011, 3:28 PM
got to agree w/ Wally..... I thought you may have mastered the multi-axis hollow form technique!

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Dontcha just hate that?!?! I had one piece that I weighed again and again, and the scale insisted it was dry - it was obviously a genetic forebear of your piece.

Chuck Jones
04-24-2011, 11:36 PM
...and the bark is really thick on this, it has to be almost an inch thick.

Save the bark for your wood carving friends.

Bill Wyko
04-25-2011, 1:53 AM
That's just a unique personality. No problem that I can see. really neat turning my friend.

John Keeton
04-25-2011, 6:25 AM
David, it is a neat piece - warps and all! I am betting this was more the result of released stress than a dryness issue. Could be a combination of the two, but I have ripped on the tablesaw, many a piece of bone dry lumber, straight as an arrow, only to have it turn into a spiral when cut. No explanation other than stress release.

Bill Wyko
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
As John said. I was cutting a piece of Bloodwood on the band saw that was 6% moisture. at the end of the cut it litterally snapped into a cork screw. In my case it was usless, in yours it added to the piece. Again, nice work.

Michael James
04-25-2011, 5:10 PM
Late to the party on this one, but cottonwood is well, cottonwood. Hump or no, the workmanship is 1st rate as always!. Surely there's a home for that piece somewhere! Good job, thanks for posting.
mj