PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus NE Bowl

Kathy Marshall
04-24-2011, 4:51 AM
On the way home from work last night I stopped by the tree trimmer's to see if they cut anything interesting during the week. The only thing they had was some citrus and eucalyptus that they were holding for a guy that wanted it for firewood, but they said I could take a look and see if I wanted any. Wasn't really interested in any citrus, but I thought I would take a look at the euc to see if it was anything like the last euc I got from them.
This was not the typical euc you see all over Phx. Most of the eucs here have a stingy bark that sheds leaving a smooth trunk. This had typical tree bark. So I took a couple logs to play with. I've seen a few of these trees around town and have been wondering what the wood looks like, and now I know.

192672 192669

Trimmed the logs up and got them sealed today, but kept out 1 piece to give it a try.
192666 192671

The picture doesn't show the color well, but after a fresh cut the heartwood was red, faded to a pinkish/salmon color when the surface dried (took all of about 30 seconds here). As with the other euc I have turned, this stuff likes to crack, especially around the pith.
192667 192670 192668

This wood cut very nice. What surprised me was how quickly it dulled my gouge considering the wood is not that hard. I've also never had a piece of wood that wore out sandpaper so fast, but it did sand up nicely.
It has a coat of BLO and I fogot to measure, but it's probably about 8" x 5" x 4" or thereabouts. It's sitting in a plastic bag now, hopefully it won't crack more.

As always, comments and critiques are welcome.

Dan Forman
04-24-2011, 5:07 AM
That's some very good looking wood, and great form on the bowl. Hope it remains intact as it dries. Wonder if it has a high silica content causing the dulling. Things are still slow in the tree trimming front around here, but should pick up soon. I have enough to keep me busy for a while, but hope I can score a good bunch of walnut this year. Sounds like you have a nice candy store near you. :)

Dan

Michelle Rich
04-24-2011, 7:14 AM
I think all of us want your wood supplier...great turning & form on this..nicely balanced and nice small flat on bottom..this lifts right off the table.

John Hart
04-24-2011, 7:20 AM
yeah...I'm wondering about the sand as well. Walnut loves to ingest sand and wears out everything sharp. Very nice piece by the way. It's difficult to come up with a pleasing form, and you nailed it. :)

John Keeton
04-24-2011, 7:50 AM
Pretty bowl - and, well worth the sharpening effort! I do think silica content is the culprit.

Russell Eaton
04-24-2011, 7:58 AM
Kathy great looking bowl. You did that piece of wood justice for sure. Great job of keeping the bark on.

David E Keller
04-24-2011, 9:40 AM
Pretty stuff! +1 on the silica... I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the eucalypts are especially tough on tool edges for that reason.

Rich Aldrich
04-24-2011, 9:44 AM
Kathy - really nice form and nice wood. I really like this one.

Hayes Rutherford
04-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Kathy, that shape is just right and in my experience a best seller.

Steve Schlumpf
04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Congrats on the wood! Sure is some pretty stuff! Very nice looking bowl! Hope it holds together for you while drying!

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:05 PM
That's a really pretty piece - as usual!