PDA

View Full Version : Chicken soak info needed

Ken Hill
04-24-2011, 1:34 AM
I take to heart everything yall post, so I grabbed up a few chickens to further my bowl turning endeavors.

I know about using DNAsoaking, but need enlightenment on the addition of the chicken. For a test run, I have a roughout in the coop with him...will post further test images shortly.

BTW...his name is Jake:D

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/i-3VSjjWD/0/O/pe1_3398.jpg

I also wasnt sure about drying blanks, so I have a test blank being soaked by a chick as well....more evaluation to follow.

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Private-Gallery-2/i-6CgsH9G/0/O/pe1_3405.jpg

mickey cassiba
04-24-2011, 3:07 AM
I'm no expert on turning, or finishing, but I do know chickens...and Jake does not look happy, nor do the chicks.:(

Kathy Marshall
04-24-2011, 3:13 AM
David's the expert on the chicken soak thing, but I do know that a chicken with a name or cute little chicks are ineligible for use with the chicken schmaltz method.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2011, 6:16 AM
This is Ken in Idaho.......looking down.......shaking his head.......:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Fred Perreault
04-24-2011, 7:43 AM
The only wood blank in the pics is square.... how'd ya turn it so square Ken??

Ken Hill
04-24-2011, 8:44 AM
The only wood blank in the pics is square.... how'd ya turn it so square Ken??

It got a duck soak before turning!

Mickey, those birds are very content. Most of them follow me around like puppy dogs. I free range but right now I have a mating pair of Red Tail Hawks on premisis.....

http://kenhill.smugmug.com/Other/Wildife-and-Nature/i-BxxbcSm/0/L/pe1_3350-L.jpg

Kathy, the chicks have no names.....but will, however the next batch of meaties is due any day and they dont get names:o Unless you consider "Broiler and Fryer" names assigned to the flocks! I wonder what wood goes with a 5 pound Cornish Rock LOL!

Lee Koepke
04-24-2011, 8:48 AM
I hope you took accurate weight measurements, have a sister bowl in a plain brown wrapper as a control, all complete with a complicated graph ..... or at the very least pics of the omelette's

John Keeton
04-24-2011, 9:05 AM
This is just shameless!!!:eek: Using poor, helpless Easter chicks for your own selfish interests!:mad: Ken, I can understand the use of adult chickens - they can make decisions on their own - but, chicks?!?!:rolleyes: I am horrified!!!:p

And, besides, as I understand the concept, one must use free range chickens - specifically from the free range chicken farms in which I bought up stock upon the disclosure by Hart of the secret formula!:cool::D

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-24-2011, 9:12 AM
That's a DNA soak you need for those blanks Ken, not an ammonia bath. If course, it you feed those chicks a bit of grain alcohol, they might further distill it into DNA. Either way, I believe you give the term "spalted" some new meaning.
Happy Easter
faust

John Keeton
04-24-2011, 9:16 AM
...I believe you give the term "spalted" some new meaning.
Happy Easter
faustFaust, I believe the term is s-poulted!!

Ken Hill
04-24-2011, 9:17 AM
Haha, if there is a way to make cheap DNA then i'm good! We only put the birds on "Shine" the week before we butcher:p

I'm figuring for every 5 turning blanks sold, 1 poult gets included:D

Dennis Simmons
04-24-2011, 10:09 AM
I see David has not responded, he must be out trying to get the buzzards away, from his wood shed :P

Curt Fuller
04-24-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok, I've been following this whole chicken thing with just a smidgeon of doubt. So I decided to consult the experts.......
The Colonel 192680
and Old Man Tyson 192679.
They've been around a while and they have the credentials to back up their opinion192678

And they're telling me that this whole chicken thing is the most cockeyed crazy story they've ever heard!

David DeCristoforo
04-24-2011, 11:12 AM
Sorry... hiding out in Nevada. Be back next week. But I'm not takin' the rap for this. I was very clear about not using caged chickens. You don't pay attention...you're on your own...

bob svoboda
04-24-2011, 11:36 AM
Was going to comment but these posts got me hungry....gotta go.

Jim Silva
04-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Son... I say Son... You're choppin' but no chips are flyin'.

... Boy's about as smart as a bowlin' ball... Bowlin' ball that is.

Roger Chandler
04-24-2011, 6:14 PM
I did not have chickens, but last evening I made some Turkey schmaltz....:eek:.......do you think it will work the same??

Chip Sutherland
04-24-2011, 7:54 PM
I am soooo confused.

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:00 PM
Hm. MY easter eggs had no schmaltz. Obviously they weren't free range chickens. Or something.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Hm. MY easter eggs had no schmaltz. Obviously they weren't free range chickens. Or something.

I'd suggest leaning really heavily on "Or something!":eek:

BTW...I am the current president of "STCFTS".......and I really object to this thread, topic and inhumane treatment of caged and free range chickens, turkeys and ducks....

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:08 PM
BTW...I am the current president of "STCFTS"......

The number of things that come to mind for that acronym .... I'd better just go to bed!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Its a lttle known organization "Save The Chickens From The Smaltz".....:rolleyes:

Cathy Schaewe
04-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Its a lttle known organization "Save The Chickens From The Smaltz".....:rolleyes:

Ok, help me out here. I thought chickens liked schmaltz. (or however you spell it.)

You know, chickens go with schmaltz like .... well, anyway...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
You mean I formed an organization to save the chickens from the wrong thing?:confused::eek: Woe is me!:rolleyes:

Ed Morgano
04-25-2011, 12:02 AM
I'm really confused....I thought this was the turners forum.

Bill Wyko
04-25-2011, 1:59 AM
Ken, I'm one of the founding members of B.O.O.S.A. (Benevolent Order Of Smart Asses):D but this takes the cake. I'm really looking forward to the future of this thread.

Ken Hill
04-25-2011, 4:58 AM
I'm really confused....I thought this was the turners forum.

Ever hear of a rotisserie (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7ACGW_enUS374US374&sa=X&ei=7za1TaHrMMa2tgfC1oDqDg&ved=0CCQQvwUoAQ&q=rotisserie&spell=1)?:eek:

Ken Hill
04-25-2011, 5:47 AM
Btw, went to pick up a new kid goat yesterday and got to chatting with the owner. He was commenting on how he had just made a chicken plucker....and used a shopsmith lathe to turn it:eek:

Dan Hintz
04-25-2011, 6:27 AM
Faust, I believe the term is s-poulted!!
That was a really fowl joke, John...