PDA

View Full Version : Fine Woodworking Jigsaw Test

Jonathan Spool
04-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Fine Woodworking conducted a recent test on a number of jigsaws. Naturally, the two with lower blade guides did the best on squareness of cut, however the squareness test on thick stock only consisted of a straight cut, and no curved cuts. Now I know that I cannot be the only one out here waiting for a jigsaw that can perform a square cut on a thick piece of hardwood while cutting lets say a 2" radius cut, so why on earth would this aspect of testing be eliminated from an otherwise thorough looking test? I was hoping to see the Festool Carvex in the mix, but it was not. I own a Bosch, and it is a good saw, but not for what I mention above.

Kyle Iwamoto
04-24-2011, 3:47 PM
Just my opinion, but 2" radius in thick (thick is relative, I know) hardwood would require a band saw, not a jig saw. No matter who makes it, I think that is too much to ask of any jig saw. You can get a Rikon 10" on sale for pretty cheap. I can cut some pretty thick wood in less than a 2" radius.

Just my $0.02.

Chris Rosenberger
04-24-2011, 9:25 PM
Just my opinion, but 2" radius in thick (thick is relative, I know) hardwood would require a band saw, not a jig saw. No matter who makes it, I think that is too much to ask of any jig saw. You can get a Rikon 10" on sale for pretty cheap. I can cut some pretty thick wood in less than a 2" radius.

Just my $0.02.

I do not think it would be possible to cut a curved tail on a 3" or 4" thick X 10' to 20' foot long roof rafter with a bandsaw.

Jonathan Spool
04-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Chris,
You beat me to it, but I thought I should post this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVbUe1MNG4E

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2011, 8:03 AM
Thanks for the link Jonathan.
I had not seen one of those. That is a nice machine, but I bet it is costly.

David Thompson 27577
04-25-2011, 9:03 AM
................Now I know that I cannot be the only one out here waiting for a jigsaw that can perform a square cut on a thick piece of hardwood while cutting lets say a 2" radius cut.............

For a sabre saw to cut straight sided curved cuts in thick hardwood, it would need to have an incredibly stiff blade. Stiffer than practical, assuming anything close to a normal kerf size. The forces involved are way to much to overcome in less than 1/8" kerf. And increasing the kerf size to accomodate stronger blades, would require way more hosepower..........

Which is why there are ship saws -- bandsaws where the wheels and tracks articulate in three dimensions, while the table stays put.

As an alternative to a ship saw (which is probably over ten grand), buy a big router, and pattern-rout your way past the center of a thick board. Then flip the piece over, and do it again, leaving maybe 1/16 strong. Finally, change to a bottom-bearing bit, and clean off that 16th.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-25-2011, 9:48 AM
I do not think it would be possible to cut a curved tail on a 3" or 4" thick X 10' to 20' foot long roof rafter with a bandsaw.

Chris,

In one of the TOH episodes, a contractor put wheels on a bandsw and rolled the bandsaw to make curved decorative cuts on the beams in a pergola. It can be done.

Chris Rosenberger
04-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Chris,

In one of the TOH episodes, a contractor put wheels on a bandsw and rolled the bandsaw to make curved decorative cuts on the beams in a pergola. It can be done.

Ken,

I know that about anything is possible, but that was not what my answer referred to. The OP referred to a bandsaw in his shop.

Jonathan Spool
04-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Woh! That bandsaw is not in my shop! just on youtube. Way too much coin for me!
My original intention for this thread was, although it is difficult for a jigsaw to cut square on a curve, I'm sure that some do better than others, and that it should have been an included criterea in the test.

Kent A Bathurst
04-25-2011, 12:30 PM
Chris,
You beat me to it, but I thought I should post this link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVbUe1MNG4E

OK - now THAT is officially cool.

EDIT: the festool works great in thick wood in the video on their site: http://jigsaws.festoolusa.com/jigsaws/features/triple-blade-guidance/

And, its only $350.

Tee it up and then let us know what you think :D

Matt Winterowd
04-25-2011, 3:02 PM
Just in case people are looking for the article, it is actually in Woodworker's Journal, June 2011.

Jonathan Spool
04-25-2011, 6:29 PM
Thanks Matt for that correction. Got my mags crisscrossed!