PDA

View Full Version : Which blades should I get?

Dave Aronson
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
I just got a used G514X bandsaw and I'm super happy about it. I got some blades with it from the previous owner and I wanted to know which blades are best to have in my quiver? I am fairly new to bandsaws so I expect that I'll be using it for rough rip cuts and curves. I also have a 9" delta that I haven't really used so I was thinking maybe I should keep that for tight curves.

Any opinions?

Tom Ewell
04-24-2011, 9:29 AM
Timberwolf and Lennox are good places to start.

Dave Aronson
04-24-2011, 10:16 AM
but what widths?

Terry Beadle
04-24-2011, 10:44 AM
I recommend a 1/2 inch 3 tpi Wood Slicer ( Highland Hardware has them. ) About $35.

I also recommend an Olson same size...it's cheaper than the Wood Slicer but cuts and stays sharp quite a while.

These two blades can be used for most furniture wood projects. For scroll saw or tighter turns go with a 1/4 inch blade in the 4 ~ 6 tpi range.

Kent A Bathurst
04-24-2011, 11:00 AM
FWIW - Too funny - I just happen to have in front of me Mark Duginske's excellent [and recommmended !!] book: The New Complete Guide to the Bandsaw , open to the section on blades. I quote Mark: "For the majority of my work building furniture and cabinets, I use three blades, as shown....."

They are:
1/8" 14 TPI Standard Tooth
1/4" 6 TPI Skip Tooth
1/2" 3 TPI Hook Tooth

As far as brands - everyone seems to have their personal favorite. I have used, and like, Olson's All-Pro, Highland Wooworking's Timberslicer, and Lennox. I haven't done a detailed comparison - all are fine for what I've done - except the Lennox Tri-Master 1/2". That one is not merely "fine", it is "other-worldly", in performance and in street price. I happened to be in a lucky sitution where I got it for "you would not believe it" price. It gets used for resawing serious wood, then put away - I expect it to last for a long, long time.

glenn bradley
04-24-2011, 11:38 AM
The wonderful thing about this kind of question is that you will get a wide variety of answers based on everyone's experiences. All the long-winded blathering that follows is based on my experience in my shop and what I do. YMMV :D

As you mention being new to bandsaw use I would first recommend the correct mindset regarding blades; they are wear parts. Like brakes on your car, like the blade in your razor, every time you use them there is a wear factor; don't get sentimentally attached or expect them to last forever.

Like your other cutters, the material your bandsaw blades are made from and how well those materials are used will affect the quality and life of the blade. Various steels are available and many have specific properties that may or may not be important to you. Carbide lasts longer, but not forever.

You'll get plenty of advice on sources; Timberwolf, Highland Hardware, Lennox, Ellis, etc. As to sizes, I run a G0513X and use Timberwolf's 3423VPC which is their un-inventive item number for their "2-3 tooth vari-pitch positive claw" blade. They work very well on my saw for resawing up to full height. I also keep some 1/4" x 6 tooth and 14 tooth for cuves; 6T for speed or thicker material and 14 for a smoother finish in thin material. I have settled down on these two sizes after running 1/4", 3/8" 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" in various tooth patterns over the years.

I heartily endorse keeping your smaller saw. I have an old 10 Delta that I run 1/8" and 1/4" blades on in course and fine tooth counts for detail work. Doesn't take up much room and really earns its keep.

Dave Aronson
04-24-2011, 12:30 PM
thanks for the info. I can't wait to put the saw through it's paces.

Curt Harms
04-25-2011, 7:38 AM
I don't have one yet, but for longevity/$$, bimetal blades tend rank high. A couple suppliers that are well spoken of are woodcraftbands.com & Spectrum Supply. Spectrum Supply sells their kerfmaster which is supposed to be the same as Highland Hardware's well regarded Wood Slicer but for less $. Spectrum Supply also carries Lenox Diemaster2 bimetal which is pretty well regarded. If I were to get these 2 blades for my Rikon 10-325-111" band- the kerfmaster would run me $17.56, the diemaster $36.57. These may well be my next purchase. I haven't considered carbide because I'm skeptical about running carbide blades on a 14" saw. Carbide would work great on a 19" saw like the 514 and from all accounts rival a table saw in cut quality. Congrats on the saw, you'll love it. Oh, and keep the small one.