PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT14-SUV Brake Question

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-23-2011, 10:56 PM
I just got my Laguna 14-SUV, off the showroom at WC, they go up $100 the first of May, and got it home. I am going all over it and retightening all nuts and bolts and found the nut that bolts on to the brake lever arm loose, This is the lever point for the foot brake. This is a part that I feel should have been tightened at the factory, there is no mention in the instructions that deals with this part for the user to do anything with. It is close to the back wall behind the lower wheel/pully assembly and I can ony finger tighten, don't have a wrench to reach that area.

Has any one with this saw noted or heard of this problem? Have yet to power the machine up.

Thanks...... Richard.

Greg Sysak
04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
Richard,

Just checked mine. These are the two allen head nuts, right? They are tight. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on your setup as well as the quality of your cuts once you make some sone (especially resaw).

Regards,

Greg

Greg

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks Greg, but the bolt and nut are behind the lower fly wheel. I have taken some photos with the second one with my finger on the bolt head. This is where the entire break assembly rotates, mine is loose, I can wiggle the whole lever from the micro-switch to the break pad.

I a not able to add the photos in that the files are too large....any sugestions??

Richard.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-24-2011, 12:27 AM
192665will try to add the photos.192664

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-24-2011, 2:20 PM
Richard,

Just checked mine. These are the two allen head nuts, right? They are tight. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on your setup as well as the quality of your cuts once you make some sone (especially resaw).

Regards,

Greg

Greg
Thanks Greg, please see the photos and see if we are talking about the same bolt. Does your brake lever rock when stpping on the beake to slow the wheel?

Greg Sysak
04-24-2011, 2:57 PM
Richard,

Mine does not rock. Just checked it. The two allen screws that hold the break to the lever arm are tight. Let me know if you need further information. I am still trying to get it set up to cut the way I would like. I get decent cuts resawing with a featherboard on the input side and not stopping. As soon as I try to resaw by hand or stop and start cutting the cut gets a bit wavy. This is my first bandsaw so I am learning as I go. My next goal is to see if I can determine why the blade is not at a 90 degree angle to the table (front to back). Maybe I need to adjust my tracking....?? I will also check to make sure the top and bottom wheels are coplaner with a seven foot level and some 1/2/3 gauge blocks. Let me know what you think after playing around a bit.

Regards,

Greg

Mike Tekin
04-24-2011, 6:54 PM
To both of you, call tech support. They are great and quick to respond. I purchased the LT18 3000 and all my adjustments were easy and well explained by Laguna. I also was unable to resaw anything on my piece of crap asian Delta 14 inch bandsaw. On this LT18, I taught my self in 5 minutes and got perfect results on 10 inch Spanish Cedar with the free 1 inch, 3tpi blade I received with it. Also, go to Laguna's website and click on Company/Videos. When that screen comes up, click on bandsaw and bandsaw setup. They do a good job explaining how to set the saw up and adjust the fence for drift.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
04-24-2011, 6:59 PM
Greg, I found a 13mm bolt behind the brake lever rotation bolt and was able to tighten it. Brake more stable now. As far a resawing, there are a lot of info here on the Creek. do a search for "resawing". I have an 80's model 12" Craftsman for over 30 years, any noise that saw makes and I know esactly what is wrong..... in time so will you. But, make sure the blade is rather new, one of the 3-4 variable skip tooth blade , 5/8" width does a good job for me. And that the tension is good for the blade, and a slow steady cut is better a push/stop/push/stop.
As far as tracking, the SUV has a cute window in the upper chamber, if the blade is running in the same place on the tire of the wheel while runnig, all is good, If there is a "wobble" or back and forth movement of the blade seen in the window, then the upper wheel needs adjustment. That screw is right below the tension release arm.

By the way, what part of the country do you live?

thanks... Richard